Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
work or no work >

work or no work

work or no work

Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 AM

I work 5 (sometimes 6) days a week.
I don't even touch my fabrics and WIPs, etc till I have a day off. I've stopped making REALLY dumb mistakes that way and lowered my "unsewing" by half...lol.
Although it takes me months or even a year to finish things, depending on how large and/or complicated they are.
I'll be thrilled if I ever get to retire someday and can sew as much as I want!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
I work at home....bout 12 hours a day! But I love it! Nobody tells me what to do and I can work in my jammers all day if I want to. :lol:
Me too :thumbup: :thumbup:
Best of all worlds!!
Except being retired would be a lot better :D :D :D
Old 04-18-2010, 05:54 AM

I work from home full time, and also have a part time job. I try to work in atleast 15 to 20 mins a day to sew. You will be amazed at how much you can get done by the end of the week.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by chamby
... how do you get everything done so that you have time to sew? I have not been able to touch my sewing machine for a very long time now.
:(
i also have a full-time job outside the home.

who says you have to get everything else done? if you are imposing that requirement upon yourself, rethink that concept. if somebody else in the house is imposing the requirement upon you, review the division of labor to make sure it's fair. (and stick to your guns. it takes longer to unspoil a family used to 24/7 maid service, but it can be done. ;-) )

when my dustbunnies pick up a broom, i'll have a clean house. until then, i live with the mess and work on my quilts when i please.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 AM

Before I retired, for the most part was unable to find the time. Now I can sew to my hearts content for hours and wonder what happened to the day! :-)

HINT: Used to commute to work on Tri-Met daily for 1.5 hrs each way. Made yo-yo's in 5-7 min! No wonder I have a stash of those little guys!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:07 AM

Teacup, I'm with you. It doesn't take a lot of energy to read all the posts, and I don't make expensive mistakes that way. I am looking forward to the summer, when I will be able to sew more, and next year, when I can retire and sew when I want :-D In the meantime, my wish list just grows and grows!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 AM

I don't work but I do makes quilts for Project Linus, hand quilt for friends, go to guilds and bees and take classes and go to retreats....so still have to find time to work on my own quilts. I have lots of tops finished, sandwiches already put together (batting, backing, top), UFO's and WIP's. Must be a conundrum for workers or non-workers. I have to take days for myself and feel wonderful and ready to work on eveyone else's again.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:35 AM

I took an early retirement. Figured it was easier to live on less income than it was to keep working for that place! Got married the same year, too, and he retired. Now I work a lotta crafts.....my excuse is that I'll make income (selling at bazaars)...and the truth is, I LOVE to do crafts!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:39 AM

I work full time and my commute is about an hour each way. :hunf:

If I am not too tired when I get home I may quilt an hour but if it has been a typical day I stay away from the sewing machine - I learned my lesson the hard way.

On the weekends I do my chores first then I have the rest of the weekend to work on my quilts to my hearts content.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:41 AM

i work full time at home(daycare). so i can sometimes sew during naptime. otherwise i just do a little at night when i put my daughter to bed. then on the weekends i just quilt as i please. we had a maid that came on the weekends to clean for us but she has since quite so i need to find another one!! in the meantime--some of the housework goes by the wayside during the weekends and i play catchup during the week!!