Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!! >

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:40 AM

My GMQ is now in the living room. I also have a spare bedroom that is literally filled with fabric- I couldn't sew in there if I wanted- not enough room.

Our solution is drastic- we are planning to build a master suite onto our house. Then the largest bedroom will become the sewing room. It's kind of sad because we are empty nesters and already have three bedrooms. But we would like to entertain as well as sew. I'll miss the living room, which has 14 feet of glass doors into the backyard. the light is amazing.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 AM

Mary - love that pic!!! Darn't show my hubbie!!! ALSO - love the analysis Roben!!

At the moment - I have an 1929 single treadle on the landing, plus 3 out of the 6 bookcases up there have embroidery and sewing books on them.

In our bedroom we have a huge shelving system, piles of magazines, bags and bags of fabric - an ottoman full of fabric, cupboard under PC for storing stationary - you guessed it - fabric! 2 stacking boxes full of sewing equipment and threads. Under bead - three sewing boxes of notions etc. PLUS one V large bag of wool (yarn. In the corner several rolls of fabric, one of stitch and tear and one of pattern cutting paper (all 60 inches long and fat!!. Two grates of towels for embroidering when I take my machines to craft fairs and sales (good business!!)

Sitting room is like a bomb site - I have about 2 dozen bags of 'alterations' for customers as well as scraps from finished jobs (all will come in useful - right?) hung on the curtain rails - more alterations and a set of ecclesiastical vestments I am currently restoring!! ALSO in a frame - some of the vestments! Several other sewing boxes. two or three plastic crates with 'work in progress. one machine (Bernina 630)and two embroidery units - one for the 630 and one for my 180.

In the kitchen - I have a whole run of worktop (counter) covered in stuff! A sewing box in the kitchen cupbaord with the cereal (or its on the worktop!), an extension lead for the iron etc lives in there too.

Of course in with the mixing bowls, lives my spool holder for the machines!!

Finally two machines one nasty cheap 'back up' (I only got the 2nd Bernina recently) and my trusty Bernina 180!!!!!

fortunatley my Scullery - where most of my cooking goes on is SEWING FREE!!!!

Of course my daughter has her own sewing stuff issues in her room - but lets not go THERE!!!.........
Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 AM

I took over a large guest bedroom when hubby turned our office into a weight room & put a pool table in the family room. I previously had been sewing in the family room & quilting in the office. We evicted his mother and put all my sewing stuff in her room--suite really. I work from home also, so it is my sewing studio/home office but it does make it hard to concentrate on work when I'm surrounded by my quilting stuff!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Mary - I love your kitchen photo!!

I have a very small sewing room upstairs - so I have taken over the guest bedroom as well (everything has to be moved if someone visits, including all the completed quilts which are laid on that bed). Most the storage in our bedroom has sewing stuff in as well. We had to buy new chests to keep clothes in.
My "wall" is the length of the landing, so is the ironing board and assorted other goodies. I am about to move into the lounge with machine in its table and other essential stuff etc to finish piecing and quilting a king size quilt, as there is not enough room anywhere else - which I've said is temporary and got a "oh yeah?" look......
Old 04-25-2010, 09:37 AM

Scraps multiply at night when the house is silent! Yes, I have a very small sewing room and my Tin Lizzie does not fit in there--so I have this area in the living room that wraps around in - a L shape and DH grumbled that more and more sewing stuff showing up in the area. What's a gal gonna do? I try to keep it tidy--need more shelves etc. I do like having the small sewing room to retreat to. Two people can hardly move around together in there. My santuary! And it is my house and I will do and have what I want where I want! LOL
Old 04-25-2010, 09:37 AM

I love it!

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
This is where my kitchen table used to be. We now eat in the livingroom on trays. Priorities!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:38 AM

We used to have a family room but it is now my sewing room. I try and try to keep things in there but some things have grown legs and wandered off into other parts of the house............Oh well..........
Old 04-25-2010, 09:45 AM

[quote=Roben]PurpleBecca & Mary, thank you both so much for the chuckle this morning! You see, hubby is (as we speak) cleaning out his office to make room for my Tin Lizzie that's coming this week!

Oh you are gonna love that Lizzie! Hope it fits where you think it will--or he thinks it will. Please let us know how you get along.

This thread has been hilarious and I love it!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Most of my stuff was in the basement. Then little by little it came up to the family room and dining room. What an ever loving mess!!! Actually, blew my lid, and now I've taken over 1/2 of the sunroom which gives me about 12x12 area (I think I've actually got a little bit more - won't tell hubby). Once of the nicest views in the house and windows all the way around. Material and books are still in basement, but everything else is in there. Now the family room and dining room are back to being utilized for that. The thing is, the house really isn't all the much cleaner!!! But, I'm happy!!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I am enjoying this thread. There is hope for me yet.