Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Starch Question >

Another Starch Question

Another Starch Question

Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Ok let me ask another question on the starch issue.... if you spray and wait , how long do you wait ?
Do you wash your quilt after you finish it to get the starch out? Because silverfish love starch and you will see bugs. There is a deep discussion on another group about starch.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

Actually I just started using starch and magic sizing, so I don't have any quilts done with them yet :oops:
Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shiloh
I take my fabric and garments in the bathroom and spray them over the tub. No starch on the floor in my sewing room by doing this. I iron right away or roll up if I have more than one item until I'm ready.
That's a really good tip- thanks!!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Power Poster

I take my fabric and garments in the bathroom and spray them over the tub. No starch on the floor in my sewing room by doing this. I iron right away or roll up if I have more than one item until I'm ready.
Please!!! Remember to clean out your tub really well after!!!
I didn't and it turned the tub into a slip and slide.....

I let the fabric dry completely after starching. No flakes and no distorting the fabric. I tend to "iron" the fabric and when the fabric is wet, I was distorting the grain lines.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Please!!! Remember to clean out your tub really well after!!!
I didn't and it turned the tub into a slip and slide.....

I let the fabric dry completely after starching. No flakes and no distorting the fabric. I tend to "iron" the fabric and when the fabric is wet, I was distorting the grain lines.
Distorting has happened to me also. I was wondering, what if after spraying let it soak in a minute or 2 and then throw in dryer? How do you think this would work?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

i always wash my completed quilts regardless of starch use or not. i want to make sure it is going to wash and dry ok before giving it to who ever it is for that way if anything unfortunate happens i can fix it without causing the recipient any panic. the only quilts i don't wash when complete are wall hangings i don't think will ever be washed. doesn't matter if i used starch, fusable, anything or nothing.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:11 AM

I only starch my fabrics I'm using, after starching I put in a plastic bag and let them "soak" for at least an hour, then I either lay them out on my cutting table and I stick them in the drier for a few minutes, then iron.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:39 AM

I never used to wait ... .just sprayed and ironed. Well there were lots of results I did not want. I ended up with starch burn on the bottom of the iron, and white flakes. I now let my starch saturate the fabric for at least 15 minutes . It is better if you let it dry. Wet fabric is much more likely to distort, and can be easliy stretched. If you must use a piece and it is still wet.....press do not iron.
Once I changed my "starching" habits it really changed my block accuracy. Every thing was more precise.
I sometimes work in some very small pieces ( as small as 7/8 inch) I can not get the good results without starching before cutting.
Sliverfish are not a problem for me so I do not wash my quilts when completed.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:42 AM

I spray , soak a minute, then iron or press. It is much easier to get a smooth finish when the fabric is at least damp.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:58 AM

I am just chiming in with those who say to wait. When I first started using starch I had the same problems with burned starch on iron, misshapen fabrics. If you let it soak up the starch and get mostly dry it works so much better.