Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Machines >
  • Quilting Machines

• Quilting Machines

Old 09-11-2010, 04:41 PM
    Power Poster

I just signed up for a series of quilting classes starting with Stitch-in-the-ditch and ending with free motion thread play. My machine is a Babylock Espire and it has a respectable throat area. I also have a Pfaff Grandquilter which is a mechanical straightstitch machine geared toward quilting.

Are you looking for a mid-arm or long-arm, or do you want to learn how to quilt with a regular sewing machine?
    Old 09-11-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Are you looking for a mid-arm or long-arm, or do you want to learn how to quilt with a regular sewing machine?
    I want to try to use the machine I have, which is a Brother 6000i. I haven't researched whether it's capable or not yet. The 'free form' quilting looks hard to me, but I imagine it gets easier with LOTS of practice.
    Old 09-11-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    I want to try to use the machine I have, which is a Brother 6000i. I haven't researched whether it's capable or not yet. The 'free form' quilting looks hard to me, but I imagine it gets easier with LOTS of practice.
    I'm in the same boat with free motion quilting. I want to do it but afraid of making a mess of my quilt. I have three machines but one is the same Brother you have. I just ordered a FMQ foot from Amazon for it for less than $5. When I get that I guess I'll start practicing.
    Old 09-11-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
    I'm in the same boat with free motion quilting. I want to do it but afraid of making a mess of my quilt. I have three machines but one is the same Brother you have. I just ordered a FMQ foot from Amazon for it for less than $5. When I get that I guess I'll start practicing.
    Wow, we are totally on the same page. I just ordered a FMQ foot for mine too. I paid 6.95 for mine, including shipping. Maybe we can learn together.
    Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 PM

To make learning fun and stress-free, make a "practice sandwich" from 2 yds of inexpensive fabric and 1 yd of batting 42 inches wide. On your top fabric, cut 3 12" strips selvedge to selvedge, then sew them back together using 1/4 in seams. Trim selvedge edges. Now cut in half the other way, then half again. Sew them back together again. You will have 12 blocks approx 9 1/2
    x 11 1/2. Layer and pin. Now you have 12 practice blocks for free motion and seams to practice stitch-in-the-ditch. I found this to be very helpful when I was first learning. You're not concerned about messing up something you've put a lot of work into and you can try different things and see what you like best! I also ordered some cheap tops from Ebay and used those for practice. I use them for lap quilts at home.
    Old 09-13-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
    Wow, we are totally on the same page. I just ordered a FMQ foot for mine too. I paid 6.95 for mine, including shipping. Maybe we can learn together.
    :thumbup: That would be wonderful!!
    Old 09-15-2010, 09:47 PM

Great advise, I will take this up and havago, as i have 4 Quilt tops that i have to get finished b4 xmas, no that is 3 b4 xmas the other is my Sons Wedding present for April 2011. Thanks heaps for the help :)

Originally Posted by sylviak
    To make learning fun and stress-free, make a "practice sandwich" from 2 yds of inexpensive fabric and 1 yd of batting 42 inches wide. On your top fabric, cut 3 12" strips selvedge to selvedge, then sew them back together using 1/4 in seams. Trim selvedge edges. Now cut in half the other way, then half again. Sew them back together again. You will have 12 blocks approx 9 1/2
    x 11 1/2. Layer and pin. Now you have 12 practice blocks for free motion and seams to practice stitch-in-the-ditch. I found this to be very helpful when I was first learning. You're not concerned about messing up something you've put a lot of work into and you can try different things and see what you like best! I also ordered some cheap tops from Ebay and used those for practice. I use them for lap quilts at home.
    Old 09-21-2010, 01:23 PM

I took a one evening class at my local fabric store. We just made some 12" square quilt sandwiches and played with them.
    Set your machine up with a darning foot, and lower the feed dogs. (or cover them) Your manual should have instructions for setting it up for freemotion quilting, or darning.
    Then just hold the fabric with your two hands , flat, palm side down. And go!
    Practise going in a straight line. Then start some wavy lines. Then try circles, and swirlies and even writing your name.
    Keep your shoulders loose, and just play with it. The more you practise, the more natural it will become.
    Once you build up your confidence, you can tackle any of Leah Day's designs - just practise, practise, practise - and don't forget to have fun and laugh at your mistakes!