Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is There An Easier Way? >
  • Is There An Easier Way?

• Is There An Easier Way?

Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
    they make rag quilt clippers, they're spring loaded and well worth the price even if you only make one!

i have one and it really works - not expensive - got it at WM
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 AM

Ok.....follow with me as I don't always give the best directions!! After I sew 2 squares together, I use my short blade Fiskers to clip the seams BUT I stay about an INCH AND A HALF from the end of the stitch line....then I sew another pair of squares together and clip again....repeat till you have all the squares sewn together in pairs. Now, begin sewing the pairs together, again, clipping the seams but STAYING THAT INCH AND A HALF away from the beginning of the stitch line. WHY you ask????? because when you sew the long rows together, you are able to match the seam intercetion...I keep my seams open as opposed to laying them like you do when match blocks. Now when you have all your rows sewn together, you only have to go back and clip the seams at the intercetions and trust me, that is when your hands will really thank you for using those spring loaded scissors.
    Also, when you wash and dry your raqgie, BE SURE TO CLEAN THE LINT TRAP OFTEN
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 AM
    Power Poster

I purchased rechargeable clippers. Works great for me.
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
    they make rag quilt clippers, they're spring loaded and well worth the price even if you only make one!
    Yep, spring loaded scissors are the best way, other than spreading it out over a couple of days.
    Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 AM
    Power Poster

spring loaded scissors, and i do mine as i go so i don't have so much to do at the end (as i sew a section together i go ahead a clip any seam that isn't going to be needed again, so by the end of constuction all i have left to clip is around the outside. i don't know if it is faster that way but it sure seems like it, and my hands are not cramping up on me later....also, if anyone is around (kids, hubby....) i hand out scissors and draft help :)

it is a tedious job, but well worth the results.
    Old 10-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
    Ok.....follow with me as I don't always give the best directions!! After I sew 2 squares together, I use my short blade Fiskers to clip the seams BUT I stay about an INCH AND A HALF from the end of the stitch line....then I sew another pair of squares together and clip again....repeat till you have all the squares sewn together in pairs. Now, begin sewing the pairs together, again, clipping the seams but STAYING THAT INCH AND A HALF away from the beginning of the stitch line. WHY you ask????? because when you sew the long rows together, you are able to match the seam intercetion...I keep my seams open as opposed to laying them like you do when match blocks. Now when you have all your rows sewn together, you only have to go back and clip the seams at the intercetions and trust me, that is when your hands will really thank you for using those spring loaded scissors.
    Also, when you wash and dry your raqgie, BE SURE TO CLEAN THE LINT TRAP OFTEN
    now why didn't i think of that? thanks for the tip.
    Old 10-11-2010, 10:31 AM

I use spring loaded clippers
    Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I wouldn't make a rag quilt without Heritage Cutlery 6.5 inch rag quilting snips. I didn't think scissors would make a difference, they do! Even the spring loaded Fiskars which are very nice, can't compete with the Heritage rag quilting snips. The right tool for the job makes the job so much better.
    Ditto what she says! I have the Heritage snips and they are WELL worth the price. More expensive than the Fiskars, but I'm worth it!
    Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 AM

I found clippers at The Mighty Dollar that worked great.They came with a seam ripper and a hem thingy
    Old 10-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by cindle
    I just finished sewing together my first rag quilt I made up of flannel squares from my stash. Now comes the cutting OMG my hand is already killing me and all I've done is cut the outside edges of the quilt and started to do one row. Is there any way to make this not hurt your hand and make blisters?
    saw this at a quilt store - a little pricy and not sure how well it would work but guess if making lots of rag quilts?

https://www.baysidequilting.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=4790]https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idproduct=4790[/url]