Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a new machine >

Need a new machine

Need a new machine

Old 05-14-2008, 06:01 AM

I'm in the process of shopping for a macine right now too. I've been looking at some on ebay and I think the prices are very good. I don't mind if it's a good used machine. There are a lot of vacuum, sewing machine dealers on ebay that recondition their trades ins and then sell them on ebay. Most of them have at least 90 day gaurantees. I'm interested in a Janome or a Husqvarna. I've heard they are real workhorses too.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:11 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now to start my quest. I am so anxious to start on these kits that are sitting on my table teasing me. :lol:
Old 05-14-2008, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
Don't forget to think about what you need and what in a sewing machine. Do you want to be able to use your old sewing machine feet for instance? Perhaps you would prefer electronic over mechincal? Are a lot of stitches important or do you prefer to have length and width control?
Can't I have it all?? :lol:

Old 05-14-2008, 07:47 AM

Thats a great website, I checked on my machine. It had good and bad reviews. I seem to have the same dislikes and likes.
I have the H.Viking Saphire 830.
I bought it for the 10 inch throat which is wonderful.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Suz

Think about getting a really good used machine vs. a lesser new machine. Even used machines come with guarantees.

Our local Bernina shop sells so many Berninas, they have a supply of good machines when a buyer moves up in model. If you pay "X" for a machine, they give you full credit when you move up, thus a used machine that may be less than a year old. And they also have demonstrators.

Suz
Old 05-14-2008, 03:27 PM

I would keep and eye on Craigslist for a machine.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 PM

Oh Honey, I wish we could have it all but not that I could find in the under $300 price range.

Like Mocha said Elna is now owned by Janome, but also in that group is New Home and Kenmore. They all use the snap on feet, which seems to be pretty standard now. But truly I think it's wonderful how smooth that is.

Hmm, oh stitches, be carefull, sewing machine companies know that some people only look for number of different stitches, so they'll offer 70 or a hundred etc. but if you look at them you will see they are really very similiar stitches just different lengths and widths.

My Elna is a 2600, which isn't their cheapest machine, but certainly is not considered a high end machine. I got it on ebay and all over are posts of the troubles I have been through because it was damaged in shipping. I bought online one because I hate confrontation and having to explain over and over to sales people what I want, and two I don't like rubbing elbows with strangers and three the hard sell thing.

I found my sewing machine the very next morning after my auction closed(which I had watched from the day it listed) at a nearly local dealer offering me a 2 year parts and labor (I think it's got like 25 years for the rest) for only $9 more than my auction had closed on my "lightly used" one. Trust me after that I would shop the dealers. Listen to what they have to say, and don't let them bully you into a sale, those kits can wait for you to get the best deal not only for your money but for your own needs.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 PM

I sew on the Jenome Jem Gold. It's about 300 bucks. It's great. I like it more than all of my mom's computer driven fancy sewing machines.

There is only one thing about it that I don't like and that is it doesn't have the satin stitch on it.

But, I don't need it for much.

I've been sewing on it for a couple of years now and it finally had to go in the shop for service.

It's a great little workhorse though. I can't wait to get it back.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 PM

I have a friend who bought one a few months ago. She is new to sewing, and is having a great time.

I have a Bernina and have had one for a long time. I love it and have never had any problems with it. That being said, it's also a lot more expensive. That wasn't the case when I bought it.

M
Old 05-15-2008, 05:25 AM

Aren't the Jem's 3/4 machines?