Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why??? (Price question) >

Why??? (Price question)

Why??? (Price question)

Old 10-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

I will have to check into this too, thank you for bringing it up :D:D:D
Old 10-27-2010, 12:20 PM

I have seen the printed wide backing fabric at local JoAnns, but don't know if they match any of the 44" fabrics (never looked). With a 40% or 50% off coupon, you can't go wrong
Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM

Have you thought of using sheets? Best price yet!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:44 PM

Hey do we really want the fabric manufacturers to realize we have figured this out? I have been sitting on this knowledge for several years and often order backing fabric to be used in piecing a quilt top. I really think we should not be so vocal about this!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:50 PM

South Sea Imports is thinner, Henry Glass is thinner but has a beautiful softness to it and is not as thin as SSI, Fabri-Quilt is the same but might feel coarse to some quilters (not as coarse as Kona Solids, if that gives you a reference). Hope that helps.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I'm glad you said that, because now I know to ask what kind of greige goods the backings are printed on. It could well be that they are not as thick as the 44"-wide ones.

Do you recall what brands the wide goods you bought were?

I've bought most of my 108" backings at Joann's using a 50% off coupon. So I'm getting it for about $4.50 a yard. And it not only is as thick, it may be every so slightly denser. It is definitely NOT second-quality.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 PM

I have been using the wide backings on my quilts and you are right they are not the same thread count as the 44'' goods. They work well on the backs tho. I have found Moda 108'' in the same line as the quilt I was making . I have used the wildflower serenade 2 line and they had backing to match in the 108''. Ask at the quilt store you frequent or check Hancock's of Paducah. They sometimes have it on sale. I haven't used it on the fronts yet as both times I had the tops almost finished when I found the backing. You do save money buying the 108' because like it was stated you don't need as many yards because you don't need to piece it.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 PM

The wide backing that I have that's designed by Kansas Troubles made by Moda is NOT the same weight as the normal line that went with the wide 108" print. I believe it's "Butterfly Garden". I can take some pictures from the shop if that can help you any. But I quilted a charity quilt that I had made for the Shriner's and noticed that it was thinner. It quilted beautifly but just thinner. I also got a bolt from "Park Avenue" by 3 Sisters for Moda BUTTTT that one was the same weight as the normal 44/45". So go figure....
Old 10-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlleyCat
The wide backing that I have that's designed by Kansas Troubles made by Moda is NOT the same weight as the normal line that went with the wide 108" print. I believe it's "Butterfly Garden". I can take some pictures from the shop if that can help you any. But I quilted a charity quilt that I had made for the Shriner's and noticed that it was thinner. It quilted beautifly but just thinner. I also got a bolt from "Park Avenue" by 3 Sisters for Moda BUTTTT that one was the same weight as the normal 44/45". So go figure....
I'm seeing a lot of posts about Moda fabric. My experience this past year or two has been that Moda fabric is not what it once was. Lately I find it to be much thinner, and it ravels BADLY!!! I have had a full 1/4 inch seam fall apart because of raveling, but it only seems to happen with Moda fabric. And it happens often enough that I've stopped buying Moda for that reason. Joann's 44" fabric is a hit or miss on quality, but I've found their 108" fabric to be very good.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
one thing i've noticed about most of the wide fabric i've bought is that isn't as dense, not really flimsy but just not as heavy as most LQS fabs.
I agree, some of the wide fabric feels cheap.