Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you dont pre wash? >

If you dont pre wash?

If you dont pre wash?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Banned

I never prewash. I have made about 100 quilts?? Never had a problem..but I also only buy brand name fabric....from LQS. So I think that has something to do with it!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Power Poster

I wash everything that's washable before cutting it.

I've measured fabrics before and after washing - almost all of them shrink SOME. Some shrink a lot. A lot to me is over two inches in width, or an inch in length.

I started measuring to see if it was "worth the effort" to shrink it. It's worth the effort to me.

One of the ones that shrank the most was a Michael Miller black purchased from a LQS. Some of the fabrics that have been the most stable are the VIPs that I purchased at - gasp - WalMart.

I feel that washing before cutting is like wearing seat belts - it seems that many people have no issues when they don't wash the fabric before cutting - but when they do, it's messy.
Most people do get to and from while in a car without an accident - generally speaking, people that are wearing seat belts fare better when there is an accident.

Those that don't are adamant that everything turns out fine - and those that do are adamant that it's a necessary step.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
As long as you're buying quilt shop fabric you shouldn't have a problem. It's when you start mixing lesser quality fabrics with better quality fabrics that you're likely to have problems.
ironically, my experience has been directly opposite. from the hundreds of non-shop fabs i've used over the years only one or two have bled and very few have shrunk. a very few have faded in the wash, but they rarely bleed.

it's been only since i expanded my horizons to include LQS fabs that i've felt it necessary to prewash.

that should NOT be taken as a statement against fabrics available in LQS. i don't pretend to understand the differences in the way they come out of the laundry. i am NOT saying that all fabrics from LQS will bleed or shrink. i am only saying that i have personally found that it happens more often.

prewashing everything eliminates the risks, no matter where i bought it. i don't enjoy the extra work, but i do enjoy the results. :lol:
Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I do not prewash because I am looking for the wrinkly look and shrinkage to give that snuggly quality to quilts.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Power Poster

for items like christmas stockings and tree skirts...do you wash those? if you do not want any shrinkage either pre-shrink or don't wash the finished project. if the finished project will be laundered and it is something besides a (quilt) you may want to pre-shrink. usually items like wall-hangings, stockings, totes...stuff that doesn't usually get washed doesn't have to be worried about
Old 12-15-2010, 03:44 AM

I personally pre-wash all my fabric because of either me being scared of bleeding or shrinking, but this is personal preference. Now with that said there are also other considerations. If you want a very antique look then don't pre-wash, you want the shrinkage to crinkle it. I find even if I pre-wash though that I still get a small amount of crinkle just from the batting shrinkage, which satisfies me.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:02 AM

I never prewash, have never had any problems. Of course I do NOT throw finished quilts in the washer, I wash by hand, and I don't have a dryer. But I have made many for sale, put my name (which is unique) on the back of each one, and never had a complaint.
I also knew a few ladies who made hundreds of quilts for sale as a cottage industry, they never prewashed.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Sometimes I do not prewash because I am looking for the wrinkly look and shrinkage to give that snuggly quality to quilts.
Anna, this is exactly why I do not prewash. I love the crinkly look.
JulieM
Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by JulieM
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Anna, this is exactly why I do not prewash. I love the crinkly look.
JulieM
Me, three. I love the crinkled look.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:02 AM

oh the age old question do I or don't I pre-wash. I have posted before that I am prewasher and I perwash everything! It doesn't go into the stash pile until I have washed it. The bag from the shop goes into the laundry pile!