Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazines/they are piling up! >

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
I have not renewed any subscriptions for the last year and don't plan to subscribe to anymore, mainly because there is soooo much info and patterns online.
I am leaning to this idea, especially if I haven't been inspired by anything for the past year.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 AM

I have gotten so everwhelmed with magazines that I let all of them lapse! I figure I really see one it the strore that I need I'll buy it, other wise I'm doing what some of you are, putting the ones I really like into folders and trashing the rest. It has gotten so most of the quilt mags are just advertisments and the last Quilters News Letter I got I just threw out! There wasn't anything it it that appealed to me, too far out there for me.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 AM

I also thought I could use the nook, guess not !!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:06 AM

I have not renewed any subscriptions for the last year and don't plan to subscribe to anymore, mainly because there is soooo much info and patterns online.
Same here. Plus I found that as much as I like looking through the magazines I didn't use the patterns in them, or not enough to keep purchasing them.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Maggiemay
Same here. Plus I found that as much as I like looking through the magazines I didn't use the patterns in them, or not enough to keep purchasing them.
At first I thought about the magazines, if we don't subscribe they will go out of business. Then started looking more closely, most of them are already on line! One even offers more on line than in the magazine. Subsriptions are less expensive for the electronic version.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Instead of cutting and ripping out the various patterns in the mags, why not copy and put the patterns in a sheet protector in a notebook for easy reference. There is nothing more disheartening than looking at a quilting magazine and looking for the next page and it is gone. I know that we all pay good money for our mags but you could also resale them, too. Our LQS has a garage sale once a year where we can unload our excess items and surplus fabric.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:14 AM

I am TERRIBLE about magazines. I dont drink. I dont smoke. I keep the lights out in all the rms I dont use and keep the heat down to 64 degrees all winter! BUT, I buy nearly all quilt mags I come across! I finally bought this hand held scanning wand on a shopping channel - the best 99$ Ive spent ever! James has two terrabyte external drives, I wand everything, keep it in its own folder, store it on the drive and can get rid of every pc of paper in the house. Since I have nearly 10 thousand hardcover books Im scanning them too! sharet
Old 01-13-2011, 11:35 AM

I had to downsize my quilt magazines too. After a month, I would pull out patterns and ideas that I think I may want to try someday. These I put in sheet protectors and then put in binders. I have 6 binders.....one for applique, one for holidays, etc.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Daisydoodle
I am leaning to this idea, especially if I haven't been inspired by anything for the past year.
Same here...I've only renewed one this year so far.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lilyized
My husband bought me a Nook Color so I could subscribe to my quilting mags and store them on the Nook. For some reason, none of the quilting magazines are using the format to make them available that way yet. Anybody know anything about this?
Don't have a Nook (or a Kindle or any other e-reader, for that matter) but I suspect it is because you can't get the templates, centerfold applique patterns, etc. from your Nook so you would not be able to use a lot of the patterns from the magazine. Maybe??