Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
How I center my fabric on my embroidery hoop >

How I center my fabric on my embroidery hoop

Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
1) First draw a + on the BACK of your fabric where you want your design to be.

2) Do the same thing on your stabilizer.

3) Match up your lines on your fabric (back side against the stabilizer).

4) Then lay your plastic thingy that came with your machine in your inner hoop and then on top of your markings.

5) Next carefully pick up the 2 layers and inner hoop and place in your outer hoop and tighten screw.
Instead of marking mine, I just make a fold in the center in each direction, finger press is all that is necessary in both directions and match them up. Then I don't have to worry about marks showing. My hoops have markings on the plastic to match top to bottom and side to side. Then I just lay the clear template that comes with my hoops to make sure it is centered.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Thats how I was taught to do it too Dawn...the thing I was told too was not to stress tooo much over it! If you get it close, then you can always move the design on the machine to match your hooped "center" spot..know what I mean?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 AM

That's a great tip about the painters tape. I never thought to try that, but will be doing it now!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 AM

Thank you for this. I have a machine and trying to learn. I just have to add..... :D I love your technical speak...."Then lay your plastic thingy..." HeHeHe!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 AM

A quick question as I am fairly new to embroidery by machine...How do you know where to put the center of the X in the hoop to begin with? I tried this with my machine only find that it didn't matter where I put the center of the X because my machine moves the hoop to where ever it decides it needs to be and then it sews on the design. I put the center of the X right in the very center of the hoop each time and find that the design ends up being off from center. I am currently working on little pillows for the girls in my daughter's class room as a Valentine gift for them. I thought it would be a great way to try and figure out this machine ~~ same design made 12 times. None have been in the area I need them to be. One thing I am sure of, this machine has a mind of it's own and I need to make sure that I leave a lot of extra fabric on the outside edges to ensure that I can complete the project I want to create. It's got to be the machine that isn't right, right? :0) Any other hints or tips you would like to share would be greatly appreciated by this newbie. Thanks for sharing.......Carol
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 AM

Me too, me too !!
Originally Posted by huggabug123
I thought it would be a great way to try and figure out this machine ~~ same design made 12 times. None have been in the area I need them to be. One thing I am sure of, this machine has a mind of it's own and I need to make sure that I leave a lot of extra fabric on the outside edges to ensure that I can complete the project I want to create. It's got to be the machine that isn't right, right? :0) Any other hints or tips you would like to share would be greatly appreciated by this newbie. Thanks for sharing.......Carol
Old 01-20-2011, 11:52 AM

I do the folding to get my lines, too - and mark the center with the blue pen - and come out pretty well - - Where I lose it is getting the darn inner hoop into the outer hoop without moving the fabric - some times I could scream!! Is there any magic way to make that easier?? Thanks.
Marysewfun
Old 01-20-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
I do the folding to get my lines, too - and mark the center with the blue pen - and come out pretty well - - Where I lose it is getting the darn inner hoop into the outer hoop without moving the fabric - some times I could scream!! Is there any magic way to make that easier?? Thanks.
Marysewfun
Yep, easy way is to use that double-sided sewing tape; Stick a piece to each of the four bottom sides of the top part of the hoop. Stick that to the fabric in the position you want it and then move the bottom part of the hoop into the proper position. The biggest problem most people have is trying to put the fabric & top part of the hoop INTO the bottom part. It is easier to put the bottom part AROUND the fabric & top part of the hoop. Hope you realize I am giving away one of my most cherished secrets here. :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
Old 01-20-2011, 12:59 PM

Old 01-20-2011, 01:16 PM

Thank you, I'll give that a try. :D
Marysewfun