Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I ususally to a simple 9 patch with really nice fabric. I am NOT a great quilter, but I think if I use fabulous fabric, it will be nice!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:11 PM

I made 2 raffle quilts for the Alzheimer's Association. The 2nd one was a queen size paper pieced pineapple. It only raised $1,276. Instead of a raffle I wish it would have been in a high end fundraiser (silent auction) with a minimum bid instead of a raffle. Live and learn.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I honestly think the quilts you make will work for teens/young adults those seem to be areas where the quilts are the fewest.
I'm assuming you're refering to the fact I make heavy metal or video game themed quilts or quilts with a lot of black in them. Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way (I have been "moody" the last couple days, I'll admit), but its like you're saying I'm completely incapable of creating a charity quilt that would be orientated to children.

One of the ideas I had for a charity quilt was a pink and chocolate rag quilt with pink rag edge applique hearts on the chocolate patches. Seriously, what average little girl wouldn't want that?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
I made 2 raffle quilts for the Alzheimer's Association. The 2nd one was a queen size paper pieced pineapple. It only raised $1,276. Instead of a raffle I wish it would have been in a high end fundraiser (silent auction) with a minimum bid instead of a raffle. Live and learn.
Hey, $1000 is quite a bit of money to begin with and it went to a good cause. That's a success in my book. :)
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I think any quilt you make would be much appreciated! There is so much need out there, and you usually don't have to look very far. Is there a local women's shelter or VA hospital?
I also ask at my local Community Action Center, and they tell me what may be needed.
Thanks for thinking of others! Generosity is a wonderful thing! :)
Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
I think any quilt you make would be much appreciated! There is so much need out there, and you usually don't have to look very far. Is there a local women's shelter or VA hospital?
I also ask at my local Community Action Center, and they tell me what may be needed.
Thanks for thinking of others! Generosity is a wonderful thing! :)
VA hospital? No. Women's shelter? Its actually my old house.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I kind of think Jade gave you a compliment Hon. I think you do some quilts that are Diffrent, too, but thats what I like about you, you make some really unique ones. Theres a few others here too, that I always LOVE seeing their stuff, because it IS so diffrent from my stuff.
Not all of us can make the "cool" teen ones, and cute baby stuff too!
Hugs....
Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

And PLEASE take that a a compliment, K?!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 PM

I have chosen to kinda stay off the beaten path as some others have stated... while , I'm sure the Organizations are great. I find most limit me as well.. I have been quilting and sewing for our local Veterns... I have focused on the local veterns hospital skilled nursing unit ( an hour away.. but still many local folks there) and the veterns in our smalltown nursing home..... It feels as if I have found my niche.... no deadlines, no pressures, I can do my own thing and try new patterns and techniques as I desire. They have been VERY receptive and appreciative. ( staff as well as patients) U will find the right place to donate.... sometimes they just slip up on u and u wake up one day and realize... this is what I was meant to do.... this is my niche.... keep the faith... enjoy ur quilting/sewing and u will find ur place....
Old 01-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I honestly think the quilts you make will work for teens/young adults those seem to be areas where the quilts are the fewest.
I'm assuming you're refering to the fact I make heavy metal or video game themed quilts or quilts with a lot of black in them. Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way (I have been "moody" the last couple days, I'll admit), but its like you're saying I'm completely incapable of creating a charity quilt that would be orientated to children.

One of the ideas I had for a charity quilt was a pink and chocolate rag quilt with pink rag edge applique hearts on the chocolate patches. Seriously, what average little girl wouldn't want that?
I dont think she meant anything bad or was implying u can not do cute and cuddly... by her comment.. I think she was admiring ur teen oriented items..... teens and young adult themed items are in great demand and fewer ppl seem to enjoy making them... or are any good at making them.. I struggled with a yinyang/dragon themed for my grandson at Christmas.... it is out of my comfort zone........ it turned out great... but I enjoyed making the cute and cuddly things
Follow ur heart, make what u love..... heavy metal/video/teen/young adult/cute and cuddly....... all will find love and be appreciated...