Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what size needle is it? >
  • what size needle is it?

• what size needle is it?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I guess a note wil help with date and size and kind will work. I forget I have my 1/4 foot on and change to zigzag and break my needle. I need to make a note about that.
    I do that too! Wish someone would invent a 1/4 in foot that worked with zigzag!!!
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 PM

I also use blue painter's tape. I write the size needle I am presently using and stick it on my machine where I can see it. I also put my used needles on a piece of paper and store them in my sewing drawer with their size next to each used needle. I don't throw away a needle unless they are dull. You can tell when they start making a clunking sound as they go through the fabric or the thread frays. A tip I found is that you dull your needles fast when you sew over pins.
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I guess a note wil help with date and size and kind will work. I forget I have my 1/4 foot on and change to zigzag and break my needle. I need to make a note about that.
    LOL, I do that ( forget to change the foot) every once in a while and I can kick myself!
    Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by sushi
    You can read the needle number using a magnifying glass? Wow! I can't.

What power is it?
    I can't either...
    Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by featherweight
    I use a tomatoe pincushion and mark the different sections with needle numbers that I use.. 90/14, 80/12, metalfil, 75/10 etc. when I take a new needle out and put in machine I put a saftey pin into the pincushion in the section that corsponses with the needle number. that tells me what is in the machine. Does that make any sense?? Here is one but, I made my own.. Cheaper~~~

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...+pincushion.do
    Hey, I put my used needles in a tomato pincushion too! My tomato hangs from my desk light by the sewing machine. And if you get out a magnifying glass you can actually see the number on the shaft of the needle, so I don't try to remember it. Usually when I pull a needle out, it's ready to be discarded rather than re-used.

Oh yes, I just started with a regular red pincushion and marked off the sections with a pen.
    Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 AM

My magnifying glass is no help at all -- I didn't know they had different atrengths. I need a jeweler's strength. I have about 15 needles that I haven't a clue about. The safety pin suggestion, when you take a needle out of the tomato is a good idea. Now if I just had the discipline to take the time to do it!!
    Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by grocifer
    My magnifying glass is no help at all -- I didn't know they had different atrengths. I need a jeweler's strength. I have about 15 needles that I haven't a clue about. The safety pin suggestion, when you take a needle out of the tomato is a good idea. Now if I just had the discipline to take the time to do it!!
    This is what I use from Harbor Freight - helping hands - I just use the magnifying glass part of it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-319.html
    Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 PM

i usually sew until it breaks then put another in dont tell on me please LOL
    Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 PM

I use a tomatoe pincushion and mark the different sections with needle numbers that I use.. 90/14, 80/12, metalfil, 75/10 etc. when I take a new needle out and put in machine I put a saftey pin into the pincushion in the section that corsponses with the needle number. that tells me what is in the machine. Does that make any sense?? Here is one but, I made my own.. Cheaper~~~

I essentially do the same thing only I put in a flower head pin. I can find it easier.

ali
    Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 PM

That's what I do too. I read it in a magazine about 10 yrs ago or more and have done it ever since. Since I used to sew apparel a lot, I have one for sharp and one for ball point needles. I just use a regular ball head pin.