Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue? >

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
what is wrong with them? I would strip piece anyday.
Me too!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Power Poster

if it is scrap piecing there may not be strips available...and she may be teaching precision...i do alot of strip piecing but i also make projects that i have to cut out lots and lots of little squares for....it depends...and when the (teacher) is working on a project that strip-piecing is good for she probably does it that way...but if she is teaching a scrap class she will use the individual pieces mainly because not everyone starts with yardage when scrap quilting, some of us start with scraps.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 AM

For me, it took a good bit of sewing/making quilt tops, to separate the "old ways" from my simpler ways.Could it be she's teaching how to match seams? I never found that easy.

Originally Posted by SewSydney
I have been wondering the same thing, I've noticed this trend on a few sites and almost got caught and started to cut out my fabric before I realised it could be done a much easier way. I now make sure I read the instructions several times before I start the project, I usually have a simpler way to do it.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 AM

Quite possibly she has access to super accurate cutting tools like the accuquilt systems or similar which make cutting all the hundreds of squares a breeze for her and doesn't think about her users. If that were the case it would be easier to assemble from itty bitty squares. I know for me, I use the strip method to increase the accuracy of the final product and measure and trim each strip as I add it. But you have hit the nail on the head as to why I don't follow pattern directions. 99/100 there is an easier and/or more accurate way to assemble something. Like I try to tell my son, "think harder and work smarter"
Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 AM
Banned

I often find myself making quilt tops for my job and thinking the same thing. Why make things harder than they need to be :-)
Old 02-07-2011, 04:48 AM

I'm doing a D9P right now and the focus fabric is fussy cut...sooo no strip piecing for this one. Fussy cutting sucks, btw, I can't wait to get it done.

I can see individual squares being used to teach...it was easier at first, for me anyway, to "see" the block and understand how it goes together when I had individual pieces. That's not to say that I don't strip piece now, I do as much as possible, lol, but it makes sense, kinda, for a beginner tutorial.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:08 AM

Can you tell me where to go to find that quilt a long?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I would love to know as well!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:43 AM

Well, I hate strip piecing. I don't find it that much faster, and not as accurate. I can cut very quickly, and I prefer to do all of my cutting, then sewing, then pressing. I don't like changing stations any more than necessary, since I'm pressed for space, and have to put away and take out supplies each time. I guess I'm in the minority, here.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
Can you tell me where to go to find that quilt a long?
Here's the link to the quilt a long. I read somewhere why she tells you to cut it this way, but I can't find it now. I believe she did say you could strip piece if you preferred that method. http://lizzyhouse.typepad.com/cherry...=Google+Reader