Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you test to see if fabric is cotton or 50%-50%cotton poly? >

How do you test to see if fabric is cotton or 50%-50%cotton poly?

How do you test to see if fabric is cotton or 50%-50%cotton poly?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 PM

I still do the burn test if I'm not sure. The reason being that a friend and I were doing a sampler course and despite careful cutting and 1/4 inch seams her blocks were never coming out to 12 1/2 inches. She had bought her fabrric at a reputable quilt shop and was assured that all fabric was 100% cotton after 9 weeks of frustration the teacher suggested the burn test. One of the fabrics melted away definetly not cotton.I still can't understand this as I have put poly/cotton with cotton and had no problems but this particular fabric shrunk at the touch of an iron and distorted every block
Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
I still do the burn test if I'm not sure. The reason being that a friend and I were doing a sampler course and despite careful cutting and 1/4 inch seams her blocks were never coming out to 12 1/2 inches. She had bought her fabrric at a reputable quilt shop and was assured that all fabric was 100% cotton after 9 weeks of frustration the teacher suggested the burn test. One of the fabrics melted away definetly not cotton.I still can't understand this as I have put poly/cotton with cotton and had no problems but this particular fabric shrunk at the touch of an iron and distorted every block
I had some white on white that I did not pre-wash and it did the same thing. It looked just like other white on whites in my stash but it shrivelled terribly when ironed.