Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone ever found a comfortable bra? >

Has anyone ever found a comfortable bra?

Has anyone ever found a comfortable bra?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by DianD
I also have a few thoughts in this area...First, I wear a 44I !!! I, too, broke my collar bone, which healed "crooked," then, (stupidly)went rollerskating a few years back, fell and permanantly dislocated a rib...right at the same spot that an underwire sits. No pain in the world compares to having a stress blister under your heavy busom. So, no underwires, but lots of falling straps...and lots of frustration.
A few years back, I read that Jane Russell also had this problem, and that her love interest, at that time, was Howard Hughes, the famous engineer. He actually Engineered her a bra!!! She said that from then on, it was the only bra she would wear, and commissioned to have them made from his patterns.
What I want to know is this---Women need bras that fit. Rarely are we happy with the offerings that exist. WHY doesn't someone ENGINEER a bra that works, lifts, is comfortable, doesn't inflict pain (either physically or in the pocketbook), and doesn't look like and armored TANK?

Oh, and where are Howard Hughes' patterns?

Maybe we should propound our thoughts to the great brains at MIT, etc., and see what they come up with!

Okay, I'll stop now!

I wonder if that was the "bullet bra" that came out in the 1950s?
That was the most comfortable bra I have ever worn!
They sound awful, but they were a different shape, and wonderful to wear!
PS If anybody can find a pattern please PM me!
I need a liter vol.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I make my bras. Most comfortable I've ever had and I'm not shaped like a boy. I took a class several years ago and have been making them since. Need to make some more now as nothing lasts forever.
Where did you get the pattern? I'd like to try making bras. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I like some of the sports bras. Not practical for work, but I'll wear them out. And for work, I found one at Kohls that doesn't hurt, but it's off as soon as I'm home. (I'm 28 btw)

And my DH once asked why I hated them so much. I told him to put a cup on for 18 hours and go around normally, to work, to the gym, to cook, to "be me" for 18 hours.

He's never again questioned why I take it off soon as I'm home.
Cup??? mine are a liter each, tell him to think about wearing a two liter bottle of coke around all the time!
I measured one, using a potfull of water and measuring the displacement. I hope you both laughed!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by lorli
I've been wearing them for 40 years (OMG am I that old?)and have never found a really comfortable one. Years ago I even went to a special bra store (Rigby and Peller in London, corsetiere to the Queen!) to be fitted. What an experience, I will never forget the saleslady who had a chest like the prow of a battleship who burst into the fitting room and embarrassed me half to death! Even those bras were uncomfortable.

Recently I read about the Bra-lelujah (sp?) and it sounded so great so I splashed out on one, what a disappointment. It is ugliest bra I ever saw - a horrible color like old nylons (in England they called that color "American Tan" - ugh) and the seems are so poorly finished. It gives no support and, worst of all, the back rides up and is so uncomfortable. I was driving and kept having to take one hand off the wheel to yank it back down. There is no way to adjust the fit as it has no fastenings: the instructions that came with it said to step into it, after dragging it over my big hips its no wonder it has no support!

Any ideas, anyone? I can't bear underwires or, worse, those seamless molded cups that look like styrofoam coffee cups.

[I just realised that I have revealed more than anyone wants to know!]
-------------------------------------------
I've had the same problem with never having a bra fit. There is a lady here in Colorado that custom fits and teaches you how to make your own bra. These are the first underwires I've ever worn and they are the best fit and actually comfortable. No slipping and sagging. I'm very happy with the ones I've made. If you're interested I can give you her contact information. Perhaps there is someone like her in your area?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by grandma sue
I have a friend who owns a fabric (knits and tricots) shop in Wichita, KS and she teaches a bra class. I keep telling myself to go up there and take it. She teaches it at some of the sewing expos - class is $90 but it gives you the pattern and enough fabric to make 2 bras.
I took her class in 07 when she came to Atlanta. Best money I've ever spent. I am still making my bras.
I am little around my chest, but need ample cups. It is very, very hard for me to find a bra. I used to ache all the time until I started making my bras.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 AM

Every time my husband complains about "new" tee-shirts I have to smack him! I tell him he's lucky to be able to wear a tee shirt! NO I never found a comfortable bra - just ones I could tolerate more than others.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:38 AM

sigh .. I understand everyone's pain with bras.. if anyone truly finds a comfortable one, let us all know !LOL Oh yeah and reasonably priced too !! LOL
Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 AM

I found one - once - and it's falling apart :(
I have found that for the bigger cup sizes it's much easier to find the proper size in Europe (even VS and Fredericks don't go big enough) and if you do find the proper size the underwire isn't even felt. My biggest problem is the middle piece - between the cups - tends to be too wide. I would love to make my own bras (cute bras are impossible to find after about a DD) but am very intimidated by the idea.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Wish the larger sizes would be as cute/pretty as some of the smaller sizes. (sigh)
Old 05-25-2011, 08:31 AM
ns

Go to a store and get fitted. You WILL find a bra you like. That is really the way to go. JC Penney, Macy'S any nice store will do it.