Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JC Penney sold fabric? >

JC Penney sold fabric?

JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
Yep. Years and years ago. In the 60s I believe. My mom worked in the fabric department of Montgomery Ward's in the 60s.
My first sewing machine was from the Montgomery-Wards factory in Portland, OR. They had an auction when they finally sold the building, so I bought my firsy machine, a New Home, in a solid oak cabinet. (It still had the ink well in it!)
Old 02-04-2011, 06:16 PM

When I was a teenager in the 60's and sewed my dresses for school, even the grocery stores sold fabric and notions.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Thank you all so much for sharing your memories! I have enjoyed this thread so very much. It's just wonderful! Nice stroll into the past. I sure do wish we had more places to find fabric! I do faintly remember a Kresge - but I don't remember them having fabric. I know my parents were big Sears shoppers, and I certainly don't remember them having fabric (but I DO remember Geranimals and Toughskins...lol).

BTW, according to the burn test my fabric has some polyester in it - there was a crust/slight melt on the burned edge. That's fine - I think I'm just going to hold on to it a while anyhow...;)
Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 PM

Yes I do remember Penny's selling fabric in Seattle,WA.Bon Macy,s sold fabric also.All the dime stores sold fabric. It's a good thing that we still remember back then.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish
I picked up some fabric at the thrift store today - a green gingham - that still had a JC Penney tag on it. It was apparently a remnant, 1-1/4 yards, with a price of 79 cents. I never knew Penney's had sold fabric - does anybody know when they stopped? I'd like to know if this is a true cotton gingham, too. I'd post a pic, but it's already in the washer. Perhaps later.
"YES" .... JC Penney did sell fabrics .... I can rmember going there and buying fabric all the time. I know it was during my High School days and I graduated in 1955. Don't know however when they did away with their fabric departments though.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by phatquilts2
Many of the department stores had a fabric section because home sewing was very popular back in that day. Do not remember when those fabric departments were banished.

Does anybody remember the measuring apparatus that was around six inches off of the table? The fabric was pulled through a slit and a round dial gauge with hands like a clock {?]or scale showed the yardage. Then the fabric clerk would push a lever which made a rip in the cloth. The fabric was then torn right in front of you and not cut with a scissors. In the rare instance that the print was all off grain you knew it right away. Anyway that was then and this is now, guess I am dating myself and a popsicle was a nickel. :lol: :roll:
I remember those machines quite well. I also remember going to Penney's with my Grandma for fabric for my new dress, I think I was about 11.
:-D
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 PM

I too worked at Penney's. Began in '77 or '78 in MI and they still had fabric at that point but not much past that it went out. They also used to sell greeting cards until late 70's.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:22 PM

Yes and a Big Chief tablet was about a quarter. Then my dad would tell us when he went to school the Big Chief was a nickel. But yes indeed the nickel ice cream like a Fudgesickle.

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by phatquilts2
Many of the department stores had a fabric section because home sewing was very popular back in that day. Do not remember when those fabric departments were banished.

Does anybody remember the measuring apparatus that was around six inches off of the table? The fabric was pulled through a slit and a round dial gauge with hands like a clock {?]or scale showed the yardage. Then the fabric clerk would push a lever which made a rip in the cloth. The fabric was then torn right in front of you and not cut with a scissors. In the rare instance that the print was all off grain you knew it right away. Anyway that was then and this is now, guess I am dating myself and a popsicle was a nickel. :lol: :roll:
I remember those machines quite well. I also remember going to Penney's with my Grandma for fabric for my new dress, I think I was about 11.
:-D
Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 PM

My mom worked at a Penneys in Phoenix the year before I went to college and she used their fabric (that she got with her employee's discount) to make my college "back to school" wardrobe.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 PM

Penneys did sell fabric....and it was in the 60's. As I remember it was quite nice....I made alot of my own clothes.