Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 PM

I've been out-of-circulation for several months and just happened onto this thread. Questions -- Do you want us to show you pictures of our art quilts, or do you want us to join contests? Because once you've shown a quilt on QB usually that means it can't be in a contest on QB, right???

I've got an art quilt that I did submit to QB but it got lost and has not surfaced (not the quilt, but the pictures, and almost surely my fault). I'd love to share it. My latest, a landscape quilt, probably won't fit into any categories but it is worth sharing. It is one of those quilts that YOU decide the theme and IT takes control from there.

On another, relevant, theme... If one intends to enter a quilt in a quilt show is it bettr NOT to have it on QB first? I'm thinking of area/guild shows because I don't think anything I've made would get into one of the national shows. While I've won a couple of firsts and a second (for original wall art and... best of something?) I am not that great of a cutter/seamer/quilter. Actually I'm not particularly an artist either. That's the beauty of "art" quilting. You lay down the groundwork and the quilt takes over and you find yourself doing all sorts of things you hadn't planned!

If I can get my daughter to do it for me I'll put up an older quilt I did about 2 or 3 years ago. It may explain what kind of a quilter I am better than I can. The bottom line is that blocks drive me crazy (and I can't afford to go any further that way) so I stay with doing what happens. I notice there aren't that many pictures up... is everyone waiting for what to do between pictures and contests?

Sierra
Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 PM

I'm not good at how posting really works - even with my pics, they may or may not download. So, I will leave this to the more knowledgeable ones.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:36 PM

Glad you found us, Sierra. Welcome. I'll try and answer your questions and hope others will add their two cents as well.

Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
I've been out-of-circulation for several months and just happened onto this thread. Questions -- Do you want us to show you pictures of our art quilts, or do you want us to join contests? Because once you've shown a quilt on QB usually that means it can't be in a contest on QB, right???
Yes, pictures are always eagerly welcome. We've been having art quilt challenges, not contests. There is no voting involved, and no prizes. And, for the record, quilts entered in Rhonda's contests cannot have been previously shown anywhere on the internet, including, but not limited to, QB. She does that to keep the voting unbiased.

Originally Posted by Sierra
On another, relevant, theme... If one intends to enter a quilt in a quilt show is it bettr NOT to have it on QB first? I'm thinking of area/guild shows because I don't think anything I've made would get into one of the national shows.
That depends entirely on the rules of the show you are entering. They can put any limits they want on the entries.

Originally Posted by Sierra
I notice there aren't that many pictures up... is everyone waiting for what to do between pictures and contests?
I think there have been plenty of photos posted in the more than 200 replies to this thread and I'm pretty sure no one has any worries about being being disqualified from any of QB's future contests because of posting a photo of their art quilt. Many of the posters are just starting out on the art quilt side of things and are still testing the waters. That may be a reason for what you feel is a reluctance to post photos. Those of us with a bit of experience certainly encourage photos of everyone's work.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:46 AM

So I don't find that it gets lost in the myriads of threads on the board and I have also found it easy to send a link inviting others to join us, since all of our subject matter is contained in this thread. Maybe that doesn't work for others. Just thought I would let you know.
--------

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:50 AM

Is anyone working on anything? Or is everyone outside playing in sunshine that is already too hot?

Hoping to post my latest efforts next week. I am behind again...
Old 05-31-2012, 06:39 AM

Default Art Quilts

Suzie,

I am beginning work on another embroidered quilt top for my cousin who has done so much for me. She loves her cats, has a half dozen or more in the house. I want to experiment with some different textures and see if I can really create the different colors. I have the images I want to use -- I just haven't gotten those images on the fabric yet. This is going to be another one of those quilts that will take a long long time to complete because of the intricate embroidery stitching. I would like to finish it by or before Christmas! LOL!

Jeanette Frantz

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 05-31-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Forgot to sign it!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 AM

These are my sister's. She had started with a watercolor quilt and branched to this. On the hut on island one mediums include a dryer sheet,organza overlay on hut roof and water, hay, alpaca fleece, black raw wool, 100 % white bamboo yarn, beads, dried flowers, glow in dark glitter sand and the sea weed is crocheted yarn.
Attached Thumbnails brices-island.jpg   esthers-quilt.jpg-2.jpg   rainbow-my-yard-quilt.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
Is anyone working on anything?
If you count what is going on in my head, then, my anwer is YES! LOL For some silly reason these outer foil cupcake cups have caught my attention. I want to put something together dealing with the very bottom of the ocean where lots of unseen life is going on. Since this isn't going to get washed/laundered alot, I think I am going to incorporate this interesting (to me) foil.

Looking forward to seeing what you are working on Suzie.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Ngeorgia, love your sister's work. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 AM

That sounds like a Project with the capital 'P'. How about some progress photos so we can see it come together? That would be fun for us........

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Suzie,

I am beginning work on another embroidered quilt top for my cousin who has done so much for me. She loves her cats, has a half dozen or more in the house. I want to experiment with some different textures and see if I can really create the different colors. I have the images I want to use -- I just haven't gotten those images on the fabric yet. This is going to be another one of those quilts that will take a long long time to complete because of the intricate embroidery stitching. I would like to finish it by or before Christmas! LOL!

Jeanette Frantz