Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-16-2011, 07:03 PM

I have 5 huge totes of scraps, 3 6ft tall shelving units full of folded fabric and 27 "kits" I made up for myself. i make on average 15 to 17 quilts a year plus wall hangings, baby quilts, placemat sets, etc. I only buy fabric when I see it and I can only quilt with my right hand ( tee hee) . I am hyper and NEED to create so you guys dont seem the least bit strange to me!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:31 PM

I don't buy kits much but when I go through my stash(es) it's just like Christmas in July. Always find things I didn't remember that I had. I too am trying to use what I have, especially scraps which are about to take over my sewing room entirely.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 PM

What what an overwhelming response!! :)

It's nice to know I'm not alone. Today was quilting day at my house. So I did get a kit all cut, as well as taking all of my smaller leftover fabric and cutting them into 3 inch strips.

So I've decided to try and make 3 of my kits and take them to the children's cancer wing to donate them. My grandmother died of cancer and I though it would be a good way to honor her. PLUS - It's much more fun for me when I have a purpose for the quilt I'm making.

But I think if I can keep the fabric in my line of vision...it will help me gauge what I need and what I just "want" better. :)

I do love all of the responses...funny how similiar we all are. :)
Old 04-16-2011, 07:56 PM

I agree, I want to keep my fabric in check! Although, I am still building a nice stash! I am afraid I would be overwhelmed if I had to much!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185319.jpe  
Old 04-16-2011, 08:00 PM

On second thought, I would be willing to give overwhelming of fabric a try!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:01 PM

Oh my gosh, I first laughed, then shuddered:) It's amazing and scary how we get caught up in the "need to buy more, etc." It's so easy to rationalize our purchases...we WILL finish them (someday)... When fellow board members have so graciously shared their "stash" I sometimes envy, but, also think how easily I, too, could get caught up in the "hoarding." Actually, it scares me, so, this year I VOW to finish stuff. IT IS a bit frightening that many quilters are so similar.... GOOD LUCK to all:)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 PM

I had plenty of my own and then inherited my mom's generous stash so I guess I could be called a hoarder at this point. I have two large 6 foot high cupboards full, a slightly smaller steel cupboard full, two large steel shelf units full and extras stuffed under my tables. Not going to part with any of it. I'm trying to sew my way out and it's slow going but lots of fun! I really am trying not to buy any more fabric unless I HAVE to have it to finish something.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Hi Michael from Iowa, welcome to the club from Auntie B in Saskatchewan. My Husband says the film crew from Hoarders is going to show up at our house, and have film at 11 pm. I hoard fabric, but not just for quilting, also for fashion and home decor. Quite a few cabinets full here, but still able to fit into a 14' x 20' sewing room so it's all good !!!!lol Glad to have you in the club.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Power Poster

My MIL has a whole bedroom dedicated as her "stash." She has her sewing room set up in her family room in her basement. Whenever I go there, she asks if I need any fabric. She is 81 and knows she will never use it all! I am really kinda scared she is gonna "will" it all to me! Yikes! About 2 years ago, I helped her organize her stash. We took everything out of the room and started from there. She had so much fabric she was just overwelmed! Now the room looks great! She finally quit buying fabric. I am getting to the point that I need a whole room dedicated to my stash...but then I would have no place to sew.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 PM

lol i was amused when i read this post this morning and today was my big day to start spring cleaning my sewing room. i started by taking the bed out and rearranging things and i found out ummmm michael isnt the only one i could probably sew for a couple years on just what was in my room in plastic tubs.
i need to clean out the closet too as thats where my main stash is however i opened the door and stuff started falling on me lol so just shut it for another day. beore you as i also took before pics and will post them with the after ones as well lol.
wish me luck im diving in hopefully i can swim.
carla