Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 AM

Those foil goodies ARE fun and that sounds like a challenge of a project. I am also doing an undersea project and had found a taffeta skirt at the thrift store in a shimmery dark blue. So I went to town with heat-n-bond and cut that baby up.....lol Can't wait to see what you imagined coming to life. DO get busy!

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
If you count what is going on in my head, then, my anwer is YES! LOL For some silly reason these outer foil cupcake cups have caught my attention. I want to put something together dealing with the very bottom of the ocean where lots of unseen life is going on. Since this isn't going to get washed/laundered alot, I think I am going to incorporate this interesting (to me) foil.

Looking forward to seeing what you are working on Suzie.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Default the unseen Q

OK here is what I eventually made for last month's challenge. This is a photo transfer project from skeleton's in the local community college science lab. It sure was fun to do.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00149_2.jpg  
Old 06-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

What a great piece Suzie....love the detail you captured.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ngeorgia View Post
These are my sister's. She had started with a watercolor quilt and branched to this. On the hut on island one mediums include a dryer sheet,organza overlay on hut roof and water, hay, alpaca fleece, black raw wool, 100 % white bamboo yarn, beads, dried flowers, glow in dark glitter sand and the sea weed is crocheted yarn.
These pieces are wonderful!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Interesting - not sure what else to say - what are you going to do with them?
Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
OK here is what I eventually made for last month's challenge. This is a photo transfer project from skeleton's in the local community college science lab. It sure was fun to do.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:04 AM

Default Skeletons

Well it's interesting and surprising to me those skeletons look classy and stylish in my slightly austere dining room. Odd huh? (lol A refined version of a carved turkey?)

But soon it may be hanging in an art gallery in the nearest tourist town of Valparaiso. It will be interesting to see what kind of reception it gets there if it gets a showing.

Love the links you sent to the art Q's BTW. Lots of creativity there.

Suzie
Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM

So I know it is hot for you guys... we are freezing down here BTW. It is winter in the southern hemisphere and I am staring at mounds of snow covered mountains.

But you guys must be lifting a few of those limp fingers on behalf of your quilt ideas to make the world a more beautiful and interesting place???? What are you up to????

Any takers for this month's challenge?

July challenge coming up soon.....start thinking cool thoughts to get ready.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:13 AM

Do we have anyone here living in Puerto Rico? If so, please PM me. I'll be there next week, would love to meet with you, if possible.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by sistahdebbra View Post
Do we have anyone here living in Puerto Rico? If so, please PM me. I'll be there next week, would love to meet with you, if possible.
Hope you have a nice trip and that you get to me a board member. Wouldn't that be fun?!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 AM

I'm wondering if this thread might get more responses if it was more specific. There are so many versions of "art quilts". Let's name the ones we can think of and perhaps quilters will be more interested in less general threads. Here are some possible specific threads.... and please add to this list and let's see what happens.

Landscape
Scrappy
Bizarre/far out
Photos
Floral
Fauna
People (faces)
Children
Buildings
Animals

Already I can see too many overlaps, but "Landscape" could include people and animals, fauna, flora, even scrappy.

These are just some ideas, maybe good, maybe lame. But I am surprised that "art quilts" hasn't taken off better than it is. More pictures might help. I'm going to try to post some pictures to show the small range of quilts I have done as soon as I can find someone who knows how to do it LOL.

My avatar is a response to a 9 year old neice who told me "I like hummingbirds and my favorite color is lime green." The humming birds are taken (in general) from a Dover Press coloring book, the florals from on-line photos. Both were done with scraps and paper-glue sticks before being sewn down.

Last edited by Sierra; 06-25-2012 at 06:44 AM.