Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Let's discuss making quilt blocks for our board names. >
  • Let's discuss making quilt blocks for our board names.

• Let's discuss making quilt blocks for our board names.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
    You have inspired me dublb. For an (adult) 4-H activity, I had to produce a crest which explained me. The original seems to have gone missing, but I located a draft, and the meaning. I think I'll play with the concept to make my wall hanging.

• The personal crest representing who I am is topped by a Bald Eagle, signifying that I am an American, who served proudly in the U.S. Army.

•The individual cubes represent the passion of quilting and the patches of my life.

• The colors represent my Hispanic & English heritage, and are arranged in alternating patterns, representing the different backgrounds of my parents.

• I have been married for 38 years.

• Because of our careers in the Army, we decided to have no children, and had pets instead.

• When I retired I had my 1st child, an exchange student from Germany. We have since hosted a total 15 students. In addition to hosting, I have served as local or regional coordinator for several exchange organizations.

• For the past 20 years, through my involvement with 4-H, I have been trying to reach the lives of over 3,000 children in my county per year.

• Although most of my professional career was in nursing, and my husband is a nurse practitioner, I also have backgrounds in career counseling, photojournalism, pet store management, printing & graphics, and even some professional sewing, making square dance petticoats.

• I am environmentally concerned, trying to bring information gained through the many environmental organizations to which I belong, to the children of my life, in hopes that they will help preserve and protect the earth for future generations.

• I am a caver, discovering the mysteries of the underground on my hands & knees. I’ve also served in leadership rolls for local and national speleological organizations.

• One of the mysteries I rediscovered through caving was bats. I assist the county Ag agent with issues involving bats. Through extension and Bat Conservation International, I present programs to hundreds of people per year providing information on the benefits of bats, and dispelling the myths of this beautiful creature.

• As a world traveler, I have visited over 20 countries, and most states of the United States.

• Personal interests include:

• Tent and car camping,

• Cooking, for family, catering for 4-H activities, and preparing all meals for five days, every year, while camping, for a group of 30 caveing friends;

• Arts & Crafts, teaching children and youth how to entertain themselves without the use of electronic screens.

• Water sports, such as canoeing, kayaking and white water rafting.

• Although I enjoy the Fine Arts, of music, theater, and dance, I have become an observer, rather than a doer. I square danced for over 20 years, until health issues curtailed that activity.

• Computers, their benefits and aggravations, consume vast amounts of my time, are sucking the life out of me.

• There is one blank square indicating a myriad of interests of my past and present and future.

• The crest is guarded by snakes, known to be pets in my household, in addition to other reptiles.

:thumbup: I love your crest! It'll make a wonderful block or if you wanted a whole quilt!! It incorporates several aspects of your life. Great!
    Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by dublb
    Originally Posted by olebat
    You have inspired me dublb. For an (adult) 4-H activity, I had to produce a crest which explained me. The original seems to have gone missing, but I located a draft, and the meaning. I think I'll play with the concept to make my wall hanging. . . .

:thumbup: I love your crest! It'll make a wonderful block or if you wanted a whole quilt!! It incorporates several aspects of your life. Great!
    Thanks. Originally, I was just thinking about an appliquι bat similar to my avatar. Then I started thinking about the ole part, and adding the grey hair to the bat. I may still do that for the block going into the quilt, perhaps just the bat with the olebat embroidered on the block.

Then, several comments triggered my thoughts to the whole me, not just the screen name, and I remembered this personality poster we had to make. The more I thought, the more I embraced the wall hanging idea.
    Old 09-11-2011, 01:59 PM

I'm going to have to give this one some serious thought. I've been "MacThayer" ever since I married. I get the "Mac" from my husband, who is Scottish, and "Thayer" is my maiden name, which I've kept. It's very English. On the other hand, I'm very American, as the Thayer family were among the first 100 families to settle in America, in 1632. So do I blend Scottish and English motifs? Or do I go whole hog American? What do you think?
    Old 09-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer
    I'm going to have to give this one some serious thought. I've been "MacThayer" ever since I married. I get the "Mac" from my husband, who is Scottish, and "Thayer" is my maiden name, which I've kept. It's very English. On the other hand, I'm very American, as the Thayer family were among the first 100 families to settle in America, in 1632. So do I blend Scottish and English motifs? Or do I go whole hog American? What do you think?
    What about an American flag with Scottish & English motifs overlayed on top! :)
    Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 PM

I wasn't able to work on my block or my new quilt today 'cause I spent the day at the hospital. My DGS was born today! I don't think I'll be able to work on it tomorrow. Maybe I'll start by taking the fabric to the laundromat that I use sometimes to press my fabric. I was going to do it myself but don't have time now.
    Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by dublb
    Originally Posted by MacThayer
    What about an American flag with Scottish & English motifs overlayed on top! :)
    Hey! Not a bad idea! Thanks! I may use it! Or at least some variation on it.
    Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

OK, here she is: I really ought to change my board name to Chicken McLittle. that's me!

Should I applique the shamrock or not? I want it to look like she's holding it in her beak.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-256070.jpe  
    Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
    OK, here she is: I really ought to change my board name to Chicken McLittle. that's me!

Should I applique the shamrock or not? I want it to look like she's holding it in her beak.
    Oh it's so cute!!!! I like the shamrock. Go for it. It's your block make it like you like.
    Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Oh, Chicken Mc - sew adorable. Now what?
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:22 PM

Here's a link where we can post our picts!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-152761-1.htm