Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA >

CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA

CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA

Old 08-20-2010, 01:23 PM

The coasters look great in the different colors and patterns. Every one will know they have the right drink by the coaster. Well Done. :thumbup:
Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by adrianlee
Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
Originally Posted by grandma Janice
This year I am cross stitching some nice somewhat simple pictures. Just will need to get them framed. I also have been giving them all home made orniments. some quilted, some cross stitched. they all seem to expect something I made.
That's how my family is with Christmas Ornaments. I've been making them since my kids were small. Now...I'm running out of ideas. Every year I say I'm gonna stop making them but then I just can't....LOL It's to hard to stop a tradition. So...if anybody has any ornament idea's I'm listening/reading.

Thank you,
Mish :0)
Do you crochet, Mish? I belong to a crochet snowflake group and you can really build a nice variety of snowflakes.
Nope...Don't crochet. I've tried years ago but I pull too hard when I crochet so it never turns out.

Thank you though.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Here's another easy idea. Buy stretcher strips at a art store, or make your own wooden frame if you have skill. Stretch & staple a large print piece of gorgeous cloth for a quick gift. Everything does not have to be quilted.
were they quilted?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 PM

No, just beautiful prints stretched around the frames. I have become a real Kaffe Fassett fan. Some of his stuff is too pretty to cut! You could also do this with a crazy quilt that is pieced, not quilted.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Found a site for the Warm Tater Batting.

http://www.wholesalequiltbatting.com/warm_tater.htm

Price was $3.25/yd with a 4 yard minimum. Now does anyone have the pattern for the Potato Warmers???
Old 08-20-2010, 09:01 PM

thought I would make a few tea towels and some home made jams and chutneys they always go down well - have also made 2 fabric bowls (using timtex) which can be filled with some goodies .
Like the idea of printing photos onto tea towels though so may have to borrow that idea
Old 08-21-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG
Found a site for the Warm Tater Batting.

http://www.wholesalequiltbatting.com/warm_tater.htm

Price was $3.25/yd with a 4 yard minimum. Now does anyone have the pattern for the Potato Warmers???

I just found a video tutorial for making Potato Bags.

http://www.quiltinglinks4women.com/articles/
Old 08-21-2010, 07:21 AM

One idea for sewing friends is a chatelaine. I made one for myself using a cathedral windows block, which I stuffed to use as a pincushion, and attached a long piece of ribbon to tie my little embroidery snips to. I got the idea from one of Georgia Bonesteel's books - the first Lap Quilting one, I think. But she didn't stuff the block, she used it to put things inside, like a pocket.

Anyway, the directions she gave leave you with a 4.5" block, which is bigger than I wanted. I think you could do the same thing with any miniature quilt block.

ETA - here's a pic, and also you can see how I put snaps on the ribbon to go through the handle of the scissors and hold them on.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100967.jpe  
Old 08-21-2010, 07:27 AM

What's a chatelaine?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by MegsAnn
What's a chatelaine?
Well, they vary a bit depending on the pattern and who makes them, but essentially a thing to hang on your person somewhere that holds small sewing tools. Mine was intended to hang around my neck when i was doing hand work, with the weight of the pincushion balancing, more or less, the weight of the scissors. However, the pincushion is so honkin' huge, it drags the scissors down.

Historically, the word comes from the french for the lady of a manor or castle, and women in the 18th and 19th centuries used chatelaines to carry sewing tools (as well as keys, I believe).