Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WALMART - FABRIC BOLTS RETURN >

WALMART - FABRIC BOLTS RETURN

WALMART - FABRIC BOLTS RETURN

Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by MissJMac
ATTENTION QUILTERS OF AMERICA:
Today's Wall Stree Journal reports that Walmart is returning everyday products like fishing rods and BOLTS OF FABRIC to its shelves. Seems trying to accommodate a younger demographic is not working and they're going back to the group that made them.
YEAH!!!!!!!
I hope that includes my store. But I have to wonder if "bolts" is their way of saying only the 5yd. bolts currently available in some stores now.

THEY TOOK OUT FISHING RODS? Idiots!
ROFL!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 PM

I was in a walmart 4/11/11 and was elated to see the wealth of material they had out. I did notice that some prices were higher, but the fabric I'm saving up to buy ten yards of is still four dollars cheaper than the same cotton pattern material in Joann's fabric. For Baltimore MD. those are just about the only places that have a decent quantity of the quality material I use. I rejoice with you.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:39 PM

YEAH!!!! Thats great news. :)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by rob529
Ours never stopped completely selling but the selection wasn't good. Now they have fabric loaded to the gills. Haven't gotten any more floor space given to them. Not too much fun for anyone when what you need has 10 bolts on top of it. Went Sat for interfacing, rang their bell for probablly 10 mins, gave up, did my shopping and went back to fabrics and still could get no help. Couuldn't find a person to even ask for help to be sent over there. Planning on speaking to management.
Sounds like our WalMart in Oak Hill (west of Austin)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:44 PM
QM
Power Poster

I have 3 "local" Walmarts (1 1/2 hrs driving time) One was doing inventory on every bolt (actually measuring every bolt!!!) last time I was there. According to the clerks, the non-quilting junk fabric has not sold at all since last year, although quilting fabric has. I am guessing that this was a part of the same discovery process.

I know I wrote to WM that I could buy groceries in lots of places, but the novelty fabrics I use for my charity quilts only come from WM and are virtually the only reason I go there, although I usually purchase other things on the same run.

One store cut out fabrics. The third went to precuts, then back to bolt fabrics, I am told.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 AM

That's terrific that means I don't have to go to Tampa ( unless I'm going there to see Donna) I have a Wal Mart just 10 miles down the road in east Bradenton I hope they will have the material there.WOOT WOOT
Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 AM

That would be very nice. Bring it back. thanks.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:56 AM

My Walmart has some material but it's mainly fat quarters and some small pieces or kits. A town 1 hr away has material but the girl working that area told me that Walmart doesn't want to pay someone to stand around that area waiting for someone to buy material to cut.
The material there is okay, but not of great quality. It's not Moda or Kaufman and you have to be careful. Great buys on flannel though
Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Can't wait. They had some really nice fabrics and I bought a lot there.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewobsessed1
Originally Posted by Darlene
That story is false.
Not false, the article is right here:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...673697210.html

:)
I agree it is true!!! My manager at Walmart told me they are not doing away with anymore because so many people complained. They are cutting back some but she said she is allowed to keep one whole row of calicos/fun fabrics/broadcloth/etc all on the bolt and several other sections but they are getting rid of other parts of the fabric section. It isn't as much as we had but it won't be totally gone. I hate that they no longer sell the $1 a spool thread. I remember when it was 2 for $1. But no more. Now I have to buy the more expensive thread.