Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bargello tute >

bargello tute

bargello tute

Old 08-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Barb has helped several of us make our choices in making this quilt. As others said, look back at the comments and questions. I posted pictures of my color choices and also the finished product. I was afraid it would be a big mess and now am totally delighted in everything from color, placement of the colors and the layout of my strips. This is one quilt that will be for me and no one else!! :lol:
Yeah, if I decide to make one, it will surely have to be for me. lol
Old 08-28-2010, 04:47 AM

Ganny, sorry I didn't see this before. I have been out of town for a while.
I will try to help you with this while I'm home for the weekend.

I know it is time consuming, but I suggest you go through all the postings about making this bargello. In the meantime, I will study you fabrics and see about the arrangement of the fabrics.
My turtorials are here.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1012

NOTE: #1 was posted by Kylav10...mentioned that a tutorial should be done....I volunteered, and started it within that message thread.

#1 bargello tute by Kyiav10, discussion of doing the tutorial, photos of quilts I have done fabric selections, etc.
#2 Barb_MO's Bargello Tutorial -*- Cutting strip sets by Barb_MO
#3 Barb_MO Bargello Tutorial *-* Arranging cut strip sets for sewing by Barb_MO
#4 Barb_MO Bargello Tutorial *-* Sewing one section by Barb_MO
#5 Photos of finished quilts from Barb_MO Bargello Tutorial

Barb

Originally Posted by ganny
This is the hard part for me - putting colors together. This is what I came up with. Have no idea what I am doing and what this will look like.
Ohh! Looking at my picture, I don't think it will be pretty enough. :cry:
Old 08-28-2010, 04:53 AM

Darcene, can you post a photo of your fabrics you want to use. I'll see if I can help you while I'm home fore the weekend.

Originally Posted by Darcene
Oh, Ganny,

You are not stupid....I have been following this thread and it seems to me as though 90% or more of us all have a fear of using the "wrong color or fabric" I would love to start mine but the fear is holding me back...I am thinking about making a sample block by cutting 1"-2.5" strips and sewing them together in a step down fashion just to see if my selection is working...if not, I will have a pretty potholder on which to practice my fmq....Barb has provided an excellent tutorial...I just need to face my fear and do it anyway....there is no reason why you can not do this quilt....every journey starts with a baby step....
Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 AM
Banned

Well I started one, and have the first row together and hanging up. Three more to go!

I had a really, really tough time figuring out the first part of the tute. I think it was because there were so many questions and interruptions in the thread. I ended up creating a new document in my word processing program, and cutting and pasting Barb's instructions and photos into it, eliminating the questions and extraneous stuff. It was all fairly easy after that. I printed it out and have it sitting next to the machine. The other parts of the tute are easy to read, without extra stuff. I can highly recommend that for anyone who is having trouble with the original first part of the tute.

I do have to thank you Barb for posting this way of doing bargello's. I have Marge Edie's book, and really hated it. I am going to put it in the recycle trash bin. There are few things I dislike as much as ripping, so I would never have made a bargello using the tube method. And her instructions were really difficult to understand, at least for me. So, now that I've started this one, I'm eager to try more.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO

I know it is time consuming, but I suggest you go through all the postings about making this bargello. In the meantime, I will study you fabrics and see about the arrangement of the fabrics.
My turtorials are here.

NOTE: #1 was posted by Kylav10...mentioned that a tutorial should be done....I volunteered, and started it within that message thread.

#1 bargello tute by Kyiav10, discussion of doing the tutorial, photos of quilts I have done fabric selections, etc.

Barb

This is the hard part for me - putting colors together. This is what I came up with. Have no idea what I am doing and what this will look like.
Well, I dismantled my materials, as I was too frustrated with it. I did go back and look up your postings and printed them out. Now I have a new arrangement of material if you would not mind looking at it. Which group of material, in your opinion, would work out the best? Thanks so much.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106206.jpe  
Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 PM

My turtorials are here.

Barb

Well, I dismantled my materials, as I was too frustrated with it. I did go back and look up your postings and printed them out. Now I have a new arrangement of material if you would not mind looking at it. Which group of material, in your opinion, would work out the best? Thanks so much.
Ganny, I like your fabric selection. My eyes are having a little problem with the flow of the color sequence (fab #2, 3 & 4). The arrangement i would like to see together would come from both groups of fabrics. I've marked up the fabrics in the arrangement I think would be pleasing and lets the colors in one fabric lead into the other. and then the little pink flowers on the green background would be your "kicker" and end with the more solid green.

Could arrange them like that and photo again?

ganny, would you pick out the marked fabrics and arrange as numbered and post a photo of them?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]106340[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106335.jpe  
Old 08-28-2010, 02:36 PM

My turtorials are here.

Barb

Ganny, I like your fabric selection. My eyes are having a little problem with the flow of the color sequence (fab #2, 3 & 4). The arrangement i would like to see together would come from both groups of fabrics. I've marked up the fabrics in the arrangement I think would be pleasing and lets the colors in one fabric lead into the other. and then the little pink flowers on the green background would be your "kicker" and end with the more solid green.

I can't tell which is #11. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106360.jpe  
Old 08-28-2010, 02:44 PM

I loooove Bargellos! I can't wait to dig out a 'kit' i made myself, with a magazine pattern. I really want to do it one day!
Old 08-28-2010, 02:59 PM

My turtorials are here.

Barb

I can't tell which is #11. Sorry.
I added a second purple - ? Maybe not - sorta makes the light green look "alone". What am I talking about? I don't know!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106365.jpe  
Old 08-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Ganny, I do like those fabrics! Take a photo of 1 through 10, then lay the others to the end. Barb said "and then the little pink flowers on the green background would be your "kicker" (?11?)and end with the more (?12?)solid green."
Barb, if GaiGai wouldn't mind, would you care if she did a copy paste of her document of your tutorial that takes the conversations out? I, too, kept getting lost in the updates. I did gain from the updates, understanding the theory, choosing the colors and so much more but I wasn't able to begin making the quilt so I stopped. I am just so happy that you give your time to us the way you have. You must be a wonderful person.
Regards, Dorothy
On Edit: Ganny, you were making your update as I was making mine. I didn't see yours untill I finished mine.
You have 20 minutes to make updates. (I think the 20 minutes start new with each update.) Would you take white squares of paper and put numbers on each fabric (1-12). Then Barb and speak of them by the number. I love the fabrics!