Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011  NEW >

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Old 02-06-2011, 06:24 AM

I am soooo excited about all this!!! Last night after telling everyone how I ordered more layer cakes, I got an e-mail from USPS saying they had sent out a priority package for me due to deliver on Monday! I can't believe it! Here is another great website to frequent. It is [email protected]. I ordered yesterday afternoon, got an e-mail about an hour later that the order had been sent to USPS. Then the e-mail from USPS that it was on its way. This place is in Utah, I believe! Now how is that for service :thumbup: :P
Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by VickiM
Originally Posted by Lynnie25
Wow SummerK, that will keep you busy but can't wait to see your finished quilt.

I spent yesterday 'experimenting' with pinwheel sizes. I now have 4", 5", 6" and 7" finished pinwheel blocks which I am happy with and have decided to use my scrap stash to make a 'row by row' pinwheel quilt.

Of course I may change my mind somewhere along the row :)
I may have to do this. also, as I am using different sizes from my scraps, too. I was wondering how I was going to get all the different sizes to go together...you came up with the possible answer...thanks. This is going to be fun!
Another idea is to use borders to make the blocks uniform after the pinwheels are made.
:-D
Old 02-06-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I am soooo excited about all this!!! Last night after telling everyone how I ordered more layer cakes, I got an e-mail from USPS saying they had sent out a priority package for me due to deliver on Monday! I can't believe it! Here is another great website to frequent. It is [email protected]. I ordered yesterday afternoon, got an e-mail about an hour later that the order had been sent to USPS. Then the e-mail from USPS that it was on its way. This place is in Utah, I believe! Now how is that for service :thumbup: :P
WOW Are you sure they don't live next door to you?
They must have gotten it to the post office before it closed on Saturday.
Mine, which is in a store, is no longer open on Saturday. :cry:
Old 02-06-2011, 06:55 AM

I'd like to try if I can figure sizes.What size squares to use for a 6 1/2" pinwheel & a 3 1/2" pinwheel using the sew around 2 squares method?
Does anyone have a site explaning sizes for making blocks with this method?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 AM

what is the 1.4"?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
I'd like to try if I can figure sizes.What size squares to use for a 6 1/2" pinwheel & a 3 1/2" pinwheel using the sew around 2 squares method?
Does anyone have a site explaning sizes for making blocks with this method?
No there is no site I know of that explains this!
It's trial and error. Please remember I have made a total of 1 block using this method starting with 8" squares.
Ceil gave us the formula

A finished 6" block is easy!
Start with 2 - 5.5" blocks.
5.5 - .5 x 1.4 - .5 = 6.5 take off seam allowance and you should have a 6" finished pinwheel!

3" blocks
start with 3.4" - .5 x 1.4 - .5 = 3.56 - seam allowance = 3.06"

Please try one of each with scrap fabric and see if it works and let us know.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsru
what is the 1.4"?
Sorry, I have no idea! I'm sure I knew 50 years ago but now it is over my head!
I'm OLD and the brain cells are almost gone!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:24 AM

I got out my new little BABY GO and cutting out my 5" squares.I can pick out what 2 fabrics I'm going to be using to make a Pinwheels,put them in cut them out and sew them together.
Connie in CO
Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 AM

I got out my new little BABY GO and cutting out my 5" squares.I can pick out what 2 fabrics I'm going to be using to make a Pinwheel.Put them in, cut them out and sew them together.
Connie in CO...I don't know how to delete this second message,sorry.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Originally Posted by quiltsru
what is the 1.4"?
Sorry, I have no idea! I'm sure I knew 50 years ago but now it is over my head!
I'm OLD and the brain cells are almost gone!
The 1.4 is the approximate square root of 2. (you asked) :)
In a right isosceles triangle the sides are "a", "a" and "a" times the square root of 2 (the longer side). If you draw a diagram of what your are doing this would probably be clearer as you can see that it's the diagonal that is being cut. You have to first take away the .5 as you're dealing with the smaller square once you sew the seam, so it's your size of square minus .5.
Then to find the size of the diagonal (longer side you've just created, you must multiply by 1.4 (approx. square root of 2).
Then you must subtract another .5 as you sew two of these together and make that side shorter.
This seems to work. Also this is NOT the finished size, this is the size of the block before finishing.
Someone asked about working backwards from this: What square do you have to start with to end up with a certain size. To do the math for this, take the size you want to end up with and add .5. Then divide by 1.4. Then add another .5. You must do these is this order in order for it to work. Again, this is not the finished size, so add another 1/2 inch if you want the finished size. You're also not going to get an exact friendly number each time so you may have to fudge a little. For example, if you come out to 6.8, you'll probably want to call that 6 3/4 and just know that it should be a generous 6 3/4.
I have not been quilting long, I'm just doing the math so it would be helpful if someone else would verify this before taking it as gospel. Thanks.