Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has this ever happened to you? >

Has this ever happened to you?

Has this ever happened to you?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Thanks for sharing your photos, I now know that there is hope for me yet. I have only been quilting for 16 months so my stash is not as large as yours but my sewing room does need to be sorted out to make it easier for me to work.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
Oh my goodness, If I only had a small portion of what you had in the beginning. lol I'd be a happy camper. Oh my I have to chuckle with you, or maybe dry my tears. ((((hugs)))) I really do wish you the best for what you are looking for your room to look like. Hang in there. :)
you are sweet!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltingrandmafromMi
Can't imagine having that much stash! Shouldn't be too hard to find a color you're looking for! Nice!
wrong...last night I needed binding for TWO kids quilts that were OLDER ufo's...as in back before I learned to make my binding BEFORE I made the quilt so it was ready go....finding a bright green and dark blue was not that easy...and I mostly only have blender, tone on tone, marble types so I don't have this problem...ehehhehe
Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Banned

for those who really need to know...I own 9 machines...6 of them are in that room...though I only sew on one, the Elna in my second pix!

I have a spare machine down in TX at my sisters house and a Bernina 830 in the closet that my DH likes to use!

Did I forget to mention that my husband, 2 sons and daughter also sew???
Thankfully they all know to stay OUT of my stash..ehhehe
Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM

I'm sitting here sick as a dog with some nasty intestinal thing but I laughed and laughed at your photos because my room looks like that. It doesn't take long make it so either. Keep up the good work :thumbup:
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM

Ummmm, I am so happy you posted this. My room could almost be your's twin. :roll:
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

good grief.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 AM

Wow! I thought I had a lot! Actually, my crisis came when we had to move to a much smaller place and something HAD to be done. Step 1.....pick out all your favorites and start organizing them with matching fabrics. Put partially finished quilts separate. 2nd step....sell what you can and use the money for stacking plastic boxes. Put all threads, etc together. Step 3....donate what you will really truly not live long enough to use. There are groups that makes quilts for shelters, soldiers and their families, church groups, etc. I even gave away some of my older quilts to a warming center. I got ahold of a bunch of flat boxes that would fit under my couch and beds. Step 4...start finishing the quilts you were so excited to start. That was reserved for quilts that were my second favorites and would not be done within the next couple of years. Repeat. I promise you will be so much happier without the guilt and frustration that's there now. I would probably have never done what it takes to get organized had it not been for the move but I am so happy I did.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Well let me say this...I hope sell lots..so you can find your sewing machine and start quilting again..or do you sew in another room....I am sure anyone of us would gladly come and help you haul it out..but I have enough of my own and gladly share with anyone who truly needs it...blessings...ps..no offense but if your not careful your family may do a hoarders invention...heheheheh...
Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by lynn_z
Wow! I thought I had a lot! Actually, my crisis came when we had to move to a much smaller place and something HAD to be done. Step 1.....pick out all your favorites and start organizing them with matching fabrics. Put partially finished quilts separate. 2nd step....sell what you can and use the money for stacking plastic boxes. Put all threads, etc together. Step 3....donate what you will really truly not live long enough to use. There are groups that makes quilts for shelters, soldiers and their families, church groups, etc. I even gave away some of my older quilts to a warming center. I got ahold of a bunch of flat boxes that would fit under my couch and beds. Step 4...start finishing the quilts you were so excited to start. That was reserved for quilts that were my second favorites and would not be done within the next couple of years. Repeat. I promise you will be so much happier without the guilt and frustration that's there now. I would probably have never done what it takes to get organized had it not been for the move but I am so happy I did.
When we moved to Wyoming from Pennsylvania, I left furniture back there so I could bring my fabric. If you're careful how you arrange it, fabric stacks can make comfortable lounge chairs, loveseats, etc. Trust me, this is the voice of experience talking here! Truthfully, it probably looks way worse than it really is. This would be a wonderful exercise to hone your organizational skills! Good luck!
:thumbup: :thumbup: