Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Potholder Swap - Signup by October 31, 2010 >
  • Potholder Swap - Signup by October 31, 2010

• Potholder Swap - Signup by October 31, 2010

Old 12-14-2010, 01:48 PM

I bought the pattern several years ago, and I can't find the name or maker of it. I'll keep looking for it. I don't use it anymore, since I have it memorized. It is the easiest pattern I have ever made and I can make one in about a half hour, including the cutting. You cut all the fabrics the same size. I think the pattern called for 9" fabrics, but on some, where I ran out of fabric, I used 8". You need 4 fabrics, and a piece of Insul-Brite, all the same size. Cut 1 piece of 2 fabrics, and 2 each of the other 2 pieces. Lay the window fabric right side down, the Insul-Brite, the backing fabric right side up. Fold the fabrics that have 2 each diagonally to make 4 triangles, and press. The tricky part is how you lay the triangles down. Each fabric triangle corner goes in a corner of the potholder, overlapping each other. When you get to the last corner, you have to lift up the flap from the first triangle, and put the flap from the last triangle under it. (I know this is confusing, but it is sort of like making fabric pinwheels, and the same fabrics are opposite each other.)
    Pin well through all the layers. You really need to use a walking foot at this time. I have tried it without and it doesnt look pretty! Sew around the square edges, and trim the corners a little. Turn it inside out. Fold back the edges of the triangles, since they are on the bias, its very easy. Pin in place and stitch them down.
    It's really easier to do than to read and understand it. I'll keep looking for the pattern name for all of you!

Also, thank you to all who made potholders for me! They are very nice!
    Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 PM

Ok, Judy, here is the dumb statement. I can't remember which potholder this was for. Can you send a picture to go along with the directions?
    Old 12-14-2010, 04:11 PM

Above on this page, there is a picture of it under goldendog in violetsfarm's post.
    Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by goldendog55
    I bought the pattern several years ago, and I can't find the name or maker of it. I'll keep looking for it. I don't use it anymore, since I have it memorized. It is the easiest pattern I have ever made and I can make one in about a half hour, including the cutting. You cut all the fabrics the same size. I think the pattern called for 9" fabrics, but on some, where I ran out of fabric, I used 8". You need 4 fabrics, and a piece of Insul-Brite, all the same size. Cut 1 piece of 2 fabrics, and 2 each of the other 2 pieces. Lay the window fabric right side down, the Insul-Brite, the backing fabric right side up. Fold the fabrics that have 2 each diagonally to make 4 triangles, and press. The tricky part is how you lay the triangles down. Each fabric triangle corner goes in a corner of the potholder, overlapping each other. When you get to the last corner, you have to lift up the flap from the first triangle, and put the flap from the last triangle under it. (I know this is confusing, but it is sort of like making fabric pinwheels, and the same fabrics are opposite each other.)
    Pin well through all the layers. You really need to use a walking foot at this time. I have tried it without and it doesnt look pretty! Sew around the square edges, and trim the corners a little. Turn it inside out. Fold back the edges of the triangles, since they are on the bias, its very easy. Pin in place and stitch them down.
    It's really easier to do than to read and understand it. I'll keep looking for the pattern name for all of you!

Ah, I see. It's like the criss-crossed potholders that someone posted a tutorial for, only the edges are curved back cathedral window-style to let a piece of peek-a-boo fabric show through. :mrgreen:
    Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 PM

WOOHOO :thumbup: Read your directions, then reread them looking at the picture of the potholder and it all made sense. I can do it. Thanks for the explanation.
    Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Thank you for the instructions for your potholder. Sounds like I can do it! Violet
    Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 AM

Judy, ok, here is where I show my lack of brain sorting, LOL. I am sending a picture of it so you can understand what I'm asking. Here are my questions:

Are triangles put on backing or window side?

If you put the triangles corner-to-corner with fabric, raw edges are in center, right?

If that is right, then I'd have to turn under twice to get a smooth edge on the triangles because they aren't finished.

I've got it all cut and don't know where to go from here? I feel so dumb. Am I the only one who didn't comprehend the directions?
    :cry: :cry:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-143814.jpe  
    Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 PM

The raw edges of the triangles line up with the backing square. The folded edges face the center of the square.

I found the name of the pattern: Easy Foldy Hotpad (& Coaster & Ornament) by DreamOn Quilts.
    Old 12-16-2010, 02:13 PM

Thankyou goldendog55 for the picture and the instructions.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:13 PM

Please take pictures as you go.......I'm so lost.