Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JC Penney sold fabric? >

JC Penney sold fabric?

JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by montanajan
Yes, Penney's used to sell lots of nice fabric. When I was a child, my mother bought ALL the fabric she used from Penney's. My aunt worked in the fabric department at the Great Falls, Montana Penney's. It was on the mezzanine next to bedding, kitchen & bath towels. The only other place I remember seeing fabric for sale as a kid was at the local Ben Franklin, & the quality was not durable enough for the clothing Mom made us. I wore mostly home-made dresses, & didn't have a coat from a store until I was 10. Mom would even make prom dresses with Penney's fabric from home-made tissue paper patterns after I'd show her what I wanted in a store. She could sew anything, & no one could tell our clothes weren't "ready made". When she taught me to sew, the fabric always came from Penney's. I continued to buy Penney's fabric for clothing when I was in college in the late 60's. I was sorry to see Penney's stop their fabric lines, sometime in the late 70's, I believe. BTW, I'm 64, so that may give you younger readers/quilters an idea of how long ago I was buying sewing material at a Penney's fabric department. LOL
You sure brought back lots of memories for this almost 65 year old sewer/quilter. Our Penney's store had the fabric dept. in the lower level basement, but the Marquette, MI store had the setup exactly as you described:) Thank you!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dandish
I picked up some fabric at the thrift store today - a green gingham - that still had a JC Penney tag on it. It was apparently a remnant, 1-1/4 yards, with a price of 79 cents. I never knew Penney's had sold fabric - does anybody know when they stopped? I'd like to know if this is a true cotton gingham, too. I'd post a pic, but it's already in the washer. Perhaps later.
Wow ... a good memory, I remember going with my mom to the JC Penney store downtown when I was about 8 yrs old, they still had a small fabric dept. upstairs. This was back in the 60's ... Sears had fabrics then, Ben Franklin, Woolworth, Kresge & TG&Y stores did too. I would buy remnants there for my first sewing projects. I remember that fabric gauge too and how they pulled it through to measure yardage. :)
Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Help me remember that measuring gauge. Something makes me think it made some sort of cut at the point the requested amount was reached. Does anyone else remember if this was the case and then the fabric was torn the rest of the way????
Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 AM

Yes, when it got to the right yardage, it made a small clip in the fold and was torn the rest of the way. That way you got straight of the grain fabric.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM

It's amazing just what we can recall with a little reminding....Thanks!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Yep they did. Believe I bought fabric there for a home ec skirt project when I was in 8th grade in Ne. City. Penny's Wards both sold fabric. Also the "dime" stores. Hested's and Woolworth's.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:14 PM

I am from Nampa and Caldwell; thanks for reminding me what was available to buy and where we did it in the late 1940s, 1950s (4-H projects) through 1970s. Remember when Forsmann and Pendleton wools were available for "Make it Yourself in Wool" contests--and that $50 first prize was a big one! In early 1950s, while student at the C of I, I expected to be assigned to the fabric department as a part-time clerk. Instead, I was assistant to the tailor who taught me how to measure for proper cuff placement in trousers, hem a man's coat sleeve, allow for ease at the front of the lape. make a buttonhole by hand. This "course" has been as valuable in my life as any classes taken in college.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by beksclen
Help me remember that measuring gauge. Something makes me think it made some sort of cut at the point the requested amount was reached. Does anyone else remember if this was the case and then the fabric was torn the rest of the way????
I had forgotten all about that. They sort of pull the fabric into at little clipper thing that had a little blade.Some people on this board do not want their fabric torn, but there are still many stores that do it that way. I know the Amish ones in the area where I grew up always did and probably still do.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by phatquilts2
Many of the department stores had a fabric section because home sewing was very popular back in that day. Do not remember when those fabric departments were banished.

Does anybody remember the measuring apparatus that was around six inches off of the table? The fabric was pulled through a slit and a round dial gauge with hands like a clock {?]or scale showed the yardage. Then the fabric clerk would push a lever which made a rip in the cloth. The fabric was then torn right in front of you and not cut with a scissors. In the rare instance that the print was all off grain you knew it right away. Anyway that was then and this is now, guess I am dating myself and a popsicle was a nickel. :lol: :roll:
I remember the measuring apparatus. It was fun to watch.
A two scoop ice cream cone was a dime.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:45 PM

yes ,I remember that too. Our quilt shop in Alkader ,IA still uses that unit.never thought to ask just what its official name is. Its really neat yet today.