Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Found treasure >

Found treasure

Found treasure

Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
I think a pretty green to match the leaves would look nice. What a treasure to find!!
agree
Old 02-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clem55
I think a pretty green to match the leaves would look nice. What a treasure to find!!
I agree with carol... A soft green would be lovely and keep the focus on the flowers. But I would cut down the white a little in the blocks making sure you stay on grain and fussy cut to have the exact same amount of flower centered. You could even use a softer green as corner stones to change it up a little.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:12 AM

I like the sashing idea. Any pastel color or a variety of pastels would be good. I agree you might have to take it with you to the fabric store to see what would work.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 AM

I would use a tone on tone light green for sashings.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 PM

Beautiful blocks!!!
Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 PM

I don't think I'd use sashing...I'd hate to break up the blocks...but I would do a border, probably in a subtle green print.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM

If it were mine I would separate the blocks and add sashing in between....1930's reproductions. the 30's had some great color lines and small print. Your local fabric shop should be able sto steer you in the right direction. Take the quilt top with you to help in getting just the right color or colors. Ask the sales person for there opinion on colors, they always have someone with a good eye for color in quilt shops. If not wanting to take it apart I would add a soft border around it, pastel flowers and scallop the edges, with a darker binding. The emphasis would be on the quilting and the cross stictched blocks. For some reason I keep seeing ginham working well with this top. Good luck and congrats on finding such a wonderful top!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Thank you for all the ideas. Will have to wait till next weekend when I am off work to go to the quilt shop. Hopefully I can do it justice.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Please post a picture when you have finished. You have been given lots of idea but you have to go with what you prefer. Hope you have a LQS that is helpful. You could cut some stripes of material and but then on the top and stand back and check it out. Think tone on tone would be nice.
good luck
Old 02-19-2011, 03:16 PM

It seems like everyone else has the same idea I do - soft pastels for sashing to not draw the eye away from the flowers too much. My initial thought was a soft pale yellow, though. I love quilts with a yellow background, and if the shade was pale enough, I don't think it would detract from the blocks.