Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you cut all your threads? >
  • Do you cut all your threads?

• Do you cut all your threads?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I cut my threads .. I just hate working with an un-tidy block. I was raised in a family of sewers , when ever I made anything... they all flipped it to look at the back first , then the front. It was stressed that a good sewer's work was as clean and free of threads as the front. I just can't bring myself to not trim the threads.
    Amen (smile).
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:10 PM

I iron each seam down as soon as I sew them. I cut the threads short at that time.
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:12 PM

I guess I am a real slob!!! I am making a scrap cazy quilt and I am not clipping any theady. When it is sandwiched no one will know the difference except me and now you!!!
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:13 PM

I usually cut mine as I finish each seam, only because if I don't they somehow get caught somewhere and make something go wonky and then I have to do more work. Since I seem to be basically lazy, I am for anything that prevents more work.!!
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
    I iron each seam down as soon as I sew them. I cut the threads short at that time.
    That is what I do also..
    sass
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:16 PM

I also cut every thread. I also smooth the edges of fabric as I go. I can't stand all those threads inside my quilt. I guess you could call me obsessive.
    Sue
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:26 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
    start sewing on a postage stamp of fabric, then on to the quilt block, and I join several & end up on a thread dog. 3-4 stitches between units & snip that.
    Woof! ... Thanks for the new term ... I use Thread Dogs all the time!

Another idea .....
    I read in a magazine one time how you sew two quilts at once. when you have pieces for the "other" quilt waiting, and you use them in place of thread dogs. I haven't done this, but always thought it'd be a great way to sew scrappy squares or boring patches, without making any effort. They'd add up and you wouldn't get bored!

arf! arf!
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Trim them off as I go.

Then before final pressing and quilting, I cover every inch of front and back, and trim off all the extra threads as well as any frayed edges.

As I do the final pressing, I watch and trim any that avoided me in the other passes!
    I do the same and if it gets put away any length of time before the actual quilting process -more seem to have grown and I do it again!
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Originally Posted by Lori S
    I cut my threads .. I just hate working with an un-tidy block. I was raised in a family of sewers , when ever I made anything... they all flipped it to look at the back first , then the front. It was stressed that a good sewer's work was as clean and free of threads as the front. I just can't bring myself to not trim the threads.

Are you my long lost sister?
    That was drilled into us too ... must trim and keep it tidy.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd you never re-did a seam (widened, straightened, etc.without taking out the previous stitches. And every time I don't do that now, I can hear my Mother chanting at me from beyond!! :)
    OH dear! Your mother is not going to be happy with me! I have many double and sometimes triple sewed seams! I do trim the threads though. Will that get me any points with her?! :)
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:35 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    [OH dear! Your mother is not going to be happy with me! I have many double and sometimes triple sewed seams! I do trim the threads though. Will that get me any points with her?! :)

Don't worry ... I do that too ... and I'm sure she has rolled over many times in total disgust when I do that ... though I do hear her echoing in my brain!!!!!!!!!!

And I do often praise her for instilling the importance of making points match, be pointy and such. Attention to detail!!!

Oddly enough ... I never learned any quilting from her, other than making patched doll quilts when I was a kid. No assembly line sewing in those days! Again, she'd be appalled if she knew we nested seams ... had to press them all open and MAKE SURE they matched!