Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Teaching job in the Carolinas >

Teaching job in the Carolinas

Teaching job in the Carolinas

Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 AM

I'd say it's a tough call between inner city schools and rural areas. Both need teachers and both have problems getting and keeping good teachers. I wish I had better news for you, but NC and SC are both experiencing severe budget shortages. Teachers in both states are really worried about keeping their jobs from year to year. My sister teaches art in an inner city school in Raleigh. As far as we know, she still has a job in the fall. My husband teaches in the community college system and they are experiencing problems as well. I really don't think it's much better in VA, TN, or GA either. You can go to the website for the state of NC and see if they have information on teaching in the public schools (I think they do). They should have a link with job openings listed by county. If you have any questions about a particular county, you can PM me. I don't claim to have all the answers but I might be able to answer some questions. There are also private schools all over NC. I do wish your son well in his job search. Please keep us posted and let us know how things turn out. I do love living in NC and there are a lot of benefits to living here. Unfortunately, education is not a high priority with the legislature right now. There are several military bases in the state. Your son might be able to get a job at a high school in one of those areas. Teachers are not generally in the military even if they teach in schools that cater to military families. If I can answer any questions or help in any way, please get in touch! I've lived in NC most of my life. I grew up here, married here, mostly raised my children here. We lived in SC for a few years for my husband to finish college.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 AM

I lived in Craven county for a while and still have GKs in schools there. I like it because it is not huge but very good teaching./
Old 05-31-2011, 01:30 PM

Good luck to your son. I hope he can find a job - they are precious and few.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from WI.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:31 PM

Hello from Western Mountain Maryland !! :-D
Wish your son luck !! :-D
Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 PM

You may want to remove your email address!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR
You may want to remove your email address!
Karen,
How would I do that?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:10 PM

I am from Hickory, NC. Ditto on everything that has been said about North Carolina schools. I teach in a rural school and have been told I will have a position next year. I'm not getting my hopes up. October 2012 will make 20 years for me. I hope I will be able to get there. Tell your son good luck.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Cyn

My daughter just graduated from UNC Chlt with a teaching degree and had been hired for a position in Cherry Point before graduation :) She was on a teaching fellowship scholarship so I don't know if that helped!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by maddenkids8
I have a son who just graduated college and hopes to be a High School history teacher this fall. He wants to relocate from Chicago area to the Carolinas. If anybody can suggest a school district or area that you would reccommend he apply to, it would be greatly appreciated. You can send a reply to my email [email protected] if you would rather or just answer here. Thanks for the help. He is a great kid but a move back home wouldn't be the best for all of us.
This is a bad time to be looking for a teaching job in public schools because state legislatures are cutting state support for public schools. Excuse: the recession. And it is always hard to get a job teaching history or any other social studies subject unless you are a coach.

How do I know? I am a retired teacher of government and economics and after I graduated from college it was six years before I got a job in my field.

Your son needs to spread the net wide. Most states have a statewide Website where school districts post openings. In Texas it is called TASANET. He can Google it for each state in which he is interested. He needs to take whatever job he can get and get a little experience, but not too much. School districts do not like to hire people with much experience and with advanced degrees because they are too costly.

How do I know this? After I retired from teaching after 37 years (where I learned all this), I became the education reporter for a regional newspaper and school administrators confirmed what I already knew.

Good luck to your son. I wish I could be more hopeful, but he may have to be satisfied substitute teaching in his hometown or wherever you live until a job opens. It is better than nothing and it is a chance to earn his spurs. froggyintexas