Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix >

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 PM

I went to my LQS today and got several good buys. Every Friday they have baskets of $1 fat quarters. They also had a whole bunch of $5 a yard fabric. I got 2 yards to go with some fabric I already had.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:50 PM

I've been getting quarter yards for various projects now that I have a boyfriend who is willing to take me to these quilt shops. I have a bunch of purples for a cathedral quilt I want for myself and greens for a quilt I eventually want to make for my boyfriend. Also have a collection of watercolor batiks for my Zelda project, some I haven't even color matched for the project but thought "That might work and if not I can use it". Blacks and whites. Reds and pinks. I spend like $30 max each time and I maybe go once every two weeks at most.

Since I started dating Joe I've accumulated 18 yards of fabric! Actually a little more...there's a couple of half yards in there. Let's round it off to 20. Also not counting the t-shirts for my Kittie quilt. With that kind of fabric that would be enough for a couple of decent sized tops or a lot of smaller projects.

So my method would be going into a quilt store at least once a month, going in there with a budget, buying only quarter yards, and seeing how much fabric I have in two months. $30 will only get me about a good 3 yards of fabric total, but if I do the quarter yards or fat quarters I can leave with 12 different kinds of fabric and I have more variety.

Also, one quilt shop I go to has Bag Lady Day every first Thursday of the month and any fabric you put into their reuseable bags is 20% off. Another store I go to has a rewards program where you buy so much and get something back.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:37 AM

I get my fabric from all over too, the search is definetly part of the fun. We go garage saling every week in the summer and i am always looking for fabric, sheets and cotton clothes. So far this weekend, i got a pillow form, new in package for 10 cents and a pkg of jumbo rick rack for 50 cents.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:46 AM

I too try to get fabric as reasonable as possible. The most I have ever spent on fabric was 1 yard of potato fabric - it was $10 a yard. made me sick so I just bought one yard. Figured out I didn't need to use the potato fabric for the inside where no one would see anyway so am getting twice the number of bags!! i love to go to rummage sales at churches. there is always fabric there plus clothes if you are into cutting them apart. Somehow I have always managed to get decent fabric the last day at rummage sales which is usually half price or fill a bag. If I mess up on sewing something with it i don't feel bad.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:05 AM

In these days and times, you gotta do (and MAKE DO)with whatever you can. I think that's what most of those pioneer women did too!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
My mother used to cut up little girls dresses because they always had the cutest patterns. Put the word out among your friends that you're looking for old clothing and old sheets. If your WalMart has fabric on the bolt, check out their $1.00 and $2.00 a yard bin. Look in the remnant bin at both WalMart and Joann's.
I dont know if I have a strange mind or what, but I can't see cutting up clothes that could be used by a needy person. I know when my sister and I had yard sales when our children were young, people came in early for the children's clothes. And I saw that same clothes at school the following year. Also, when we had things that didn't sell, we brought all leftovers to Goodwill or Social Services.
I have bought bedding for fabric.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 AM

I totally relate---my DH has been out of work for 2 years now with no prospects. It is really tough out there. I just cannot afford QS prices for all the pieces in a quilt. I love going to yard sales and thrift stores. The choices are greater and you certainly cannot beat the price. I mean if you cannot find the fabric at the sales, take a look at the clothes. I have found some gems.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:06 AM

These are some great ideas!! Thanks so much!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:14 AM

AMAN WE DO WHAT WE LOVE AND STILL SURVIVE THESE HARD TIMES TO.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 AM

I buy from ebay and yard sales and local shops. When I see a good buy, I buy a lot.