Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oooops >

Oooops

Oooops

Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 AM

I am a confirmed pre-washer but I agree with the others here---just get sewing and wash it after with a color catcher.
Don't forget to share pictures with us when it is complete!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:51 AM

I never prewash when I use my Accuquilt machine. The fabric cuts much better.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:41 AM

I only prewash because I am allergic to some chemicals that are used in fabric - otherwise I would not prewash.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 AM

Quilting isn't like regular sewing. I did the same thing, only it was while making a rag quilt. For sure you don't preshrink when making them.

That's what is fun about quilting, you just purchase what you need and start your project with nice crisp fabric!!!

Meg
Old 06-20-2011, 05:00 AM

I'm with the rest - go for it. Make your quilt and THEN wash it.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
OK, I guess I don't have to tell you that I am an almost absolute beginner (I've finished one quilt and am working on the second). This time I got all my fabric home and was excited to start using the Accuquilt machine I got for Mother's Day and ... I cut all my squares before I washed them. Oops. What to do now? Do I have to start over again with new fabric or can I stitch the unwashed fabric and pray it turns out OK?

Thanks ...
Put the pedal to the metal. What's the worst that can happen. If it krinkles when the quilt is washed, it'll add character. If it fades, you can still use it. Would make a nice picnic quilt or a quilt for the car.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 AM

like all have said before. i wouldn't worry about washing the fabric. I only sink wash fabric that bleeds. and that is to help keep it from messing up the quilt. but if you use a color catcher it should be just fine.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:40 AM

I agree with all the others. When I first started quilting, I did prewash. After a couple years, I was told I didn't have to. Now, the only time I prewash is with red or dark blue. When I wash the quilt for the 1st time, I do use a color catcher and have never had any problems. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Banned

100+ quilts later - I have never prewashed. I like the fabric weight unwashed to cut. I have only ever had one color run and a second wach with color catcher took care of it. Use the color catcher initially and it will be fine.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 AM

I am also new at quilting. I have made 3 quilt tops now, and I am somewhat confused about using the Retayne or the color
catcher sheets. I have red, white and blue quilts; one for brother and one to donate to a dialysis patient. Will the Retayne set the colors to keep from fading? Then do I use the color catchers to keep the fabric from bleeding on the white color. Or do I use them both at the same time?