Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Destashing >
  • Destashing

• Destashing

Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 PM

My thoughts match np3. I've been having detash sales and will continue. I have a large stash and inherited my mother's larger stash. Because I don't want my family to deal with my stash when I pass away, I've decided to lighten the load. I will still have plenty left and of course, there is always trades, lol. If I was 20 years younger, I would feel differently, but had a cancer scare earlier this year so that's where my feelings come from. When your fabric spills over into a 2nd room, time to detash!
    Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM

There are times when I find a piece of fabric in my stash that I know I just will never use , and question my sanity at the time of purchase. So I would just as soon see someone who has a use for it get it at a good price .. A win .. win!
    As for the $15.00 per yard .. it was not that long ago I thought I would never pay over $10.00 now that is the very low end of the going rate at the LQS.... and yep I was still buying .. not as much .. but still could not keep myself from having to have just one more! and one more!
    Old 06-23-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by MS quilter
    Dear Quilting Sisters,
    As much as I love your destashing sales, I feel I must warn you. Fabric is at an all time high cost and will only go higher. LQS's are saying new invoices are $15 and up per yd. I think we need to be keeping all the fabric we can unless, of course, you have unlimited funds.
    Why doesn't this surpise me. When I was at walmart yesterday (yes, I shop there alot, small town only major retailer), I about went into sticker shock. One of the materials I looked at was $10.97 a yard. I went into vapor lock, saw a couple others at $8.97 a yard. So de-stashing isn't going to work for me.
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:57 PM

I shudder at the thought of $15/yard!!! I will destash only if it is fabric that I know I will nevery use (and wonder why I bought it in the first place) Of course, I never buy ugly fabric!!!
    Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by MIJul
    Ouch!!!! I've never felt the need to de-stash, thank heavens! I can go shopping in my sewing room and find things I had completely forgotten.... they're new to me. :-)
    Ditto!! I have a hard time parting with any of my fabric.
    Old 06-23-2011, 06:28 PM

I have been destashing for years (sigh). I go through my fabric and take what I don't want either to Hero's quilts (if it is r-w-b or patriotic) or to the church for our charity quilts. Unfortunately, it seems that for every yard I take out, 3 more take their place. However, at $15/yard I will definitely not be buying much more. (I had heard there is only about $.50 of cotton in a yard of fabric so I am wondering what else is driving the price up.)
    Old 06-24-2011, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
    I love my quilting, but don't think that I would ever give $15.00 a yard.
    Be careful what you say. :lol: I once made the statement that I would never pay over a dollar per pound for coffee. I'm way over that right now. I pay $12+ for a two-pound container. And I'm still enjoying my java.
    Old 06-24-2011, 03:42 AM

Take a shopping trip to your closet and your bedroom dresser.
    The dresses, skirts, blouses, hubby's shirts, shorts, pjs, cotton sheets and pillowcases, tablecloths, and napkins, etc. are all potential fat quarters and charm packs.
    Then repeat this process at your local thrift shops, garage sales and flea markets.
    If you can afford $15.00 fabric, great, but if you can't you can still have a satisfying stash and complete beautiful quilts.
    The women of Gees Bend didn't buy fabric at the general store and today the old aprons, hand-me-down dresses, worn out teatowels and Pa's shirts are currently traveling the world; they have a honored place in the Smithsonium and several books and movies have been made documenting their resourcefullness. Let's face it, they weren't going for "art", they were trying to keep they families warm.
    I'm jus sayin....
    Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 AM

We have been paying $24/25 per yard for good quilting fabric in Australia for years , $ 15 is reasonable price, it would be a dream to get it cheaper than that . Even at $25 you buy what you need , because you have this habit to feed called "Quilting" and cant stop .
    Old 06-24-2011, 03:56 AM

That is why I shop thrift stores and garage sales.