Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine question from newbie >

Sewing machine question from newbie

Sewing machine question from newbie

Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by tedytrser
Yeah I have the manual sat there with it in front of me. I have the thread on the left and run it thru the slicer and the when I draw it up my bobbin thread runs across the top left side of my bobbin. Someone told me my tension might be to tight. Pretty bad a 47 yr old just learning to sew. HOW SAD!!
NO it is not sad I was 64 before I sat down to my first sewing machine. In the last year and half I have learned alot from this board and my DW. I have found that when it comes to sewing machines they only work one way. I fought mine for hours one night and found that I kept missing on guide with the thread. Most of the time it is something simple you just have to work thru. The thread even makes a difference as to how the machine works. Good luck on you sewing.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:03 AM

Did you take out the bobbin case, if that is not put in in the correct order with the needle plate, it will bind your machine, ask me how I know, always look in your manual, most things are solved by this
Old 07-27-2011, 04:03 AM

I was in my 40's also when I started teaching myself to sew, and am still not so good but have a lot of fun learning.
Mechanical things and I always have issues.
You will love this ew found love. Sew many things you can do.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 AM

Its never too late to learn something new. As for your machine if all else fails, try looking up on utube for sewing machine threading videos. Also, you can always call the dealer where you purchased your machine, they should be able to help you. These are just my thoughts if nothing here helps you.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:37 AM

Don't give up, we can all learn something new as we mature (we never age). If all fails take your machine to your dealer and say help. As someone stated if my upper thread jumps out of one loop it makes a mess that makes one think it is the bobbin but it is not. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 AM

I have a very basic Brother Star120E, and couldn't get it to sew correctly. My problem was that I tried to use the metal bobbins from my old Singer instead of the plastic bobbins meant for the Brother. Are you sure you have the correct bobbins? Best of luck.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by tedytrser
Yeah I have the manual sat there with it in front of me. I have the thread on the left and run it thru the slicer and the when I draw it up my bobbin thread runs across the top left side of my bobbin. Someone told me my tension might be to tight. Pretty bad a 47 yr old just learning to sew. HOW SAD!!
How sad??? How wonderful!!! You will meet lots of people in the last half of your life who are perfectly willing to just sit and stagnate and complain. I bet you will learn many new skills in your lifetime. The only problem with learning a new skill is that we look at our newborn efforts and wonder why they don't measure up to those of people with years of practice under their belts. Be kind to yourself -- the people on this board will be.

Oh, and make sure there's not a kitty/lint ball built up down inside your machine.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

When any of my machines act up, I immediately check the upper thread first. It jumps off the top hook. Then I check the bobbin case. Is the thread going counter clockwise? Is it securely in the final spot where it comes out?
Hope you can get your machine working correctly!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Homespun
When any of my machines act up, I immediately check the upper thread first. It jumps off the top hook. Then I check the bobbin case. Is the thread going counter clockwise? Is it securely in the final spot where it comes out?
Hope you can get your machine working correctly!
And if that doesn't work, try a new needle and make sure the flat spot is the right direction
Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 AM

try taking a marker and drawing an arrow on either the bobbing or case which way it goes---might wear off but can be done or mark on the sewing machine where it goes in on drop-in area