Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fun & Done >
  • Fun & Done

• Fun & Done

Old 02-26-2009, 08:16 AM

In thinking this method thru I wonder about the accurate sewing on of the top fabric. You cannot go past the batting when you sew on the design. So you have to be very accurate. Yet you trim the top fabric after you finish the block so how can you see not to sew past the batting? This worrys me. You would have to go by feel.
    Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 AM

Hmmm... That's true. Hadn't thought of that. But, if you were doing traditional blocks with quilting, either machine or hand, you could make your batting the same size as your block and the backing an inch bigger. Then quilt it. I think that would work. Need to do one and see. With the fun and done you are quilting as you piece which is different than what I was thinking about.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 AM

I bought a pattern and the tool. It was delivered right away and looks really easy. Now I just have to find the time to make it..... :cry:
    Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 AM

Can't wait for my patterns and tool to come! I ordered from Quilters Warehouse.
    First time ordering there. Hope it's quick. Prices seemed about the same as the other places.
    Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM
    SC

I decided to order the templates & the chit chat pattern. Ordered a couple of hours ago from www.wishuponaquilt.com & just recieved notification that it has shipped! That was fast! Can't wait for it to get here! :D
    Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Just got email that mine shipped too. Yeah!!!
    Old 02-26-2009, 06:10 PM

I'm using the Fun and Done method now on my 16 1/2 inch blocks. I cut the batting 18 1/2 inches. I baste with spray. It's working great. I marked the inside of my back 1 inch all around to know where to center the batting (which is cut to the block size). I don't see a problem with the batting, joining the blocks, looks pretty simple. When I finish hand quilting these two blocks I'll join them and let you know what I think. I'm going to sew a decorative stitch on the overturn just to spruce it up a bit.
    Old 02-26-2009, 06:31 PM

I have never heard of this before

would like to hear more.
    Old 02-26-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    I'm using the Fun and Done method now on my 16 1/2 inch blocks. I cut the batting 18 1/2 inches. I baste with spray. It's working great. I marked the inside of my back 1 inch all around to know where to center the batting (which is cut to the block size). I don't see a problem with the batting, joining the blocks, looks pretty simple. When I finish hand quilting these two blocks I'll join them and let you know what I think. I'm going to sew a decorative stitch on the overturn just to spruce it up a bit.
    I can't wait to see your finished quilt. I'm having a hard time finishing up what I am working on so I can start on the fun and done quilt. But, I must be strong!
    Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 PM

The center block is 7 1/2 x7 1/2
    The outer block is 9 1/2 x9 1/2 I think you can make it any size you want. The smaller block is for the batting and the outer is front and back
    What ever size you cut just make the blocks 2 inches larger than the batting. Hope this helps you.
    carol