Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning your machine >

Cleaning your machine

Cleaning your machine

Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 AM

You don't want to use canned air because 1) it pushes the dust into the computer chips and after a while could cause them to over heat and be damaged; 2) it has condensation that can build up and rust the internal parts of your machine. Also, love the straw idea witht the sweeper but remember to not stick the straw too far towards the right side of your machine. The right side of your machine is where the computer chips are and if any are loose, you could loosen them further and cause your machine to malfunction (ie: major dollars for replacement chips). I have often used a Q-tip because the fuzzy sticks to it and I can gently lift out most of the fuzzies. You can also use soft thin paint brushes to pick up the fuzzies.

Last edited by Rumbols; 12-15-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I used the canned air one time and was so worried while using it. I knew you weren't suppose to use it but I was desperate. Well, it didn't hurt anything, but I have never done it again. I have a 830 Bernina and I was just lucky I didn't cause any damage. I like the straw idea also. I think I am going to try that today. It needs to go to the shop but I'm in a frenzy trying to get my quilts done for Christmas and have no time to travel 1 1/2 hours to my dealer to get it cleaned.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 AM

I heard the same thing about canned air - but don't they make battery operated vacuums for computers - would that work????
Old 12-15-2011, 11:11 AM

I do use the canned air on my machine .... but only in those places where I can blow away from moving parts. So, if I am doing the tension areas of my machine I firmly cover the bobbin area before using the can so I don't force any lint or 'stuff' into where I definitely don't want it.

Watch the repair person work on your machine. They all use compressed air. They know how to use it correctly and will even tell you how to do it yourself.

ali
Old 12-15-2011, 11:39 AM

I agree with all that says not to use this. It is not good for the machine.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Thanks to everyone for the good advise. I get it NO CAN AIR!! Your alternative ideas are great. I knew you all would come through with good answers.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 PM

The dealer that sold my machine uses an ordinary air compressor to blow our the lint. I watched him . I wonder if you could use a hair dryer? It wouldn't be moist air or have oil in the air. Our air compressor is a huge thing and too bulky to bring inside the house.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 AM

I use chenille pipe cleaners that are sold for crafts. I also remove the plate after each project take out the bobbin & the shuttle and give it a good brush with the chenille stick. It's amazing how much lint I get out. I was once congratulated by a machine mechanic for having the cleanest machine he had ever seen. Maybe that why I had my first machine (a Lemair) for over 30 years. I believe if I look after them properly and keep them serviced they will last.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:17 AM

I use it on my Juki only as its bobbin race is open. Never had a problem. My Bernina I use tooth brushes and samll pieces of wool batting to catch the lint behind things, Feed it in to those tight places with tweezers.
MaryKatherine
Old 12-16-2011, 06:32 AM

I was told not to use the air can. I have a brother 4000D. Yesterusday I had a problem and my hubby and I unscrewed the top part and cleaned out the thread. Also unscrewed the bottom area and cleaned if your dont want to do that just use a pipe cleaner to poke around you will be amazed at what comes out.