Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap Happy >

Scrap Happy

Scrap Happy

Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 AM

I do this on a 13" square of fabric (fountation piecing ) for a charity . Start at diagional in center with 2 pieces of fabric strips and work outwards .Strips get smaller with each outward placement. Trim to 12 1/2"
Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 AM

How about a crazy quilt, no cutting, just sew the pieces as they are. Happy Quilting!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 AM

I was looking through some of my older magazines last night because my oldest daughter wants me to make her a sampler quilt so I was trying to find some blocks that I could use. I came upon the Flying Kites pattern. I really fell in love with it. Before I thought it looked so complicated but now as my quilting is getting better, I'm feeling more confident about trying to make other different kinds of blocks. They said that you could use scsrap fabric for this block and just use plain background fabric but if you use black it would really make all the scraps pop out. I'm realling thinking to finally get out of my confort zone and make this. Now that I look at the pattern, it looks really simple. Just two pieces. Maybe that would be a good block for you to use up some of your scrap fabric with. I know I am going to try it, after I finish this sampler quilt. Good luck. Have fun.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 AM

I really love crumbing... so relaxing and you never know what you will end up with.
Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
Why don't you try crumb quilting? It is so much fun, here is just one web site:
http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml
Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 AM

Try Mile a Minute blocks. They are so fun!
http://quiltingisstillmypassion.blog...-tutorial.html

judee
Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 AM

I personally prefer to do scrappy quilts. After all, scraps are an endless source as they multiply as you use them. lol
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by quilterjody View Post
I invested in an accuquilt go cutter and the 2 1/2" strip die. It's so easy that my 13 yr old son cuts my strips for me. I also don't have to buy jelly rolls which sometimes are frayed and not accurate cause I can cut them myself. Just a thought to make cutting easier for you.
I don't know what I'd do without my accuquilt go cutter and the 2 1/2" strip die. I'm working on a quilt for my GD that is all black/white/red strips done in a "split rail" pattern....will have enough scraps left over to make one for me
Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Once you get going, it will not be such a daunting task. You can do a bit at a time so as not to harm your wrist. Sometimes I make only a few blocks at a time and then do more on another day.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 AM

For your hand problem I have a few suggestions. First ask a friend or two to come and help cut the scraps. Share with them or have them bring their scraps to cut too. Second make piles of fabric scraps to cut. Cut only fot 10 mins at a time. Third organize the cut scraps for 10 or 15 mins rest then start again. It will get done. Just do a little each day. Fourth get or find someone with a go cutter. I find it easier to turn the handle then cut with the cutters. Luann who is getting ready to do just this project with 5 large bins of scraps!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce View Post
I don't know what I'd do without my accuquilt go cutter and the 2 1/2" strip die. I'm working on a quilt for my GD that is all black/white/red strips done in a "split rail" pattern....will have enough scraps left over to make one for me
I buy books that are made for jelly rolls or specifically for 2 1/2" strips. There's loads of patterns online too. Split rail is a good one to do. After other projects I run the leftovers through the go cutter.