Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • good machine for free motion quilting >
  • good machine for free motion quilting

• good machine for free motion quilting

Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by QKO

The Megaquilter 9", the Pfaff Grandquilter, and the Janome 1600P are all the same machine and are all made by Janome -- excellent build quality, very heavy duty, high-speed near-industrial machines.
    Interesting -I've wondered about going down the Janome 1600P route, rather than the 6600 or Horizon, as what I'm primarily looking for is a machine for FMQ.
    Old 01-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
    I've decided that I have to give up on my lemon of a machine and invest in a new one. I have a Featherweight and a 201 which will take care of piecing, so the focus is on FMQ, as this is where my current machine has failed most dismally. I'm considering a Janome 6600 or 7700 (the latter is the absolute top of my budget) and have had plenty of feedback on those. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has another currently available machine that has proved to be good for FMQ. A couple more pieces of info - Bernina is out of my price range, and I don't come across very many second hand machines, though I do look.
    I have been doing FMQ on a Singer 15-91 and I really like it. The harp area is large and a lot of the comments say it is the best machine for FMQ. Granted it is one of Singer's older top models. I have several older Singer models and I use them all. I keep my Singer 201 set up with the walking foot, the Singer 15-91 with the darning foot or FMQ foot and the FW and both 301s I use for piecing.
    Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
    I have been doing FMQ on a Singer 15-91 and I really like it. The harp area is large and a lot of the comments say it is the best machine for FMQ. Granted it is one of Singer's older top models. I have several older Singer models and I use them all. I keep my Singer 201 set up with the walking foot, the Singer 15-91 with the darning foot or FMQ foot and the FW and both 301s I use for piecing.
    I haven't found any 15-91s here in the UK, though it was on my list of possibles. The 301 wasn't sold in Europe, so I settled for a 201, which I haven't had for very long. My first attempts at FMQ on it weren't too successful - King Tut thread wouldn't go through the tension discs, which is one of the problems with my Janome. But I must do some more work with the 201, as if I could get it FMQing, rather than buying a new machine, my bank balance would be very happy!
    Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
    At the moment, with an offer on the Horizon, I think it's about the same price as the 430 in the UK. The latter was my dream for quite a while, and perhaps I should revisit it (or has it been replaced now?). Though the bigger harp of the Horizon appeals.
    Can you use the offer to try to bargain with the Bernina dealer? "Here is what Janome is offering me, what can you do better?" type thing.

Our Bernina dealer didn't seem willing to bargain at all, but maybe yours does.

Then, just go with lower price. I thought I wanted the larger harp, but am glad I went with the machine that can do embroidery. I had no idea I wanted embroidery, but I've fallen in love (and it can quilt in the hoop for me- very fancy looking).

The horizon sure is a gorgeous machine though. The Janome dealer was going to throw in a second bobbin case, so I could set tensions for FMQ- try to get that thrown in, I think it was like an extra $50.

Lots of people say Bernina feet are expensive, but I found the Janome feet to be pretty expensive too (though of course, more come with the machine.) I do wish I had a thread cutter like the Janome has. The memory function of the Janome is also much better, if you find that you want to sew out phrases with your alphabet. The Bernina is seriously lacking there (though with embroidery, I find it is a moot point- I can sew in any font I want, anything I want.)
    Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 AM

I have the Janome 1600P (same machine as the Megaquilter & Pfaff Grandquilter) & I love it. I really wanted a machine with a bigger throat space for FMQ - I already have a Pfaff with all of the bells & whistles & didn't need another machine with all of the fancy stitches. It is a straight stitch machine, very heavy duty & a real workhorse. My FMQ has really improved with it.
    Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 AM

I just got a Juki it is a straight stitch only. But man does it fly. I stipple quilt all my quilts myself and I almost can't keep up with it. Check it out the Juki tl98q and the new one is out now and it ranges 1200$ to 1400$.I got the last TL98q at the local quilt shop for 900$

if you get a regular machine just be sure the motor is fast enought to stipple. My singer was not fast enought to stipple very good.
    good luck to you
    Old 01-09-2012, 09:04 AM

Smile

I have the Horizon 7700, and I love,love,love this machine for quilting !!! You have LOTS of room because of the BIG throat for your quilt , and I have done some King size quilts with no problem. It does really good FMQ to. This machine is for QUILTERS !!!! I also love all the decorative quilting stitches. I think you can't go wrong with this machine. I also heard they was on sale for $1999.00 to so, you might check that out !!! Hope this helps.
    Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by gailinva
    Viking doesn't make the MegaQuilter anymore. It and the Pfaff Grandquilter are awesome for FMQ, all metal, fast,heavy duty. A friend just bought one on ebay for $650.
    they might not make the 9in throat mega quilter but the do still have the 18 in; check it out on their site, it has stitch regulator, ect on it.
    Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 AM

I have the 7700 and love it for everything I've asked it to do. I'm doing my first FMQ now and am very satisfied. the only complaint I've seen is that its start up (when pressing the foot pedal) has a little hesitation. I've seen people selling theirs to upgrade to the new Janome 12000 so there might be some good deals out there on used machines.

Make sure to test drive whatever you're interested in. Good luck in making a decision.
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm hearing very good things about the Horizon. The 1600P looks like another avenue to try as well. Tonight, though, I've been working on my 201, to see if I can get myself up and running with FMQ on that. Would be a much cheaper option!