Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • In quilting do you ever find you have a change of mind on how you feel about a color? >
  • In quilting do you ever find you have a change of mind on how you feel about a color?

• In quilting do you ever find you have a change of mind on how you feel about a color?

Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla
    I'm not good at picking out colors to begin with, so I almost always change my mind after making several blocks. I've ended up with multiple quilts in the same pattern, but with different color schemes because I change my mind and pull some colors out and add others in and end up with enough blocks for multiple quilts of different colors. I end up spending so much on fabric because I do this. It's something I'm really trying to improve upon.
    I do think that after seeing all of the lovely quilts everyone shows here, that has changed my mind about color. I will think to myself, I never would have put those colors together and yet when I see all of yours, my mind is changed and more open. Thanks everyone!
    Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 AM

I love fall colors. Also batiks. Greens are what my house is decorated in so must make quilts that go with that. So lots of color choices go well even red. Fall colors give me lots of choices.
    I dont care for bright colors like lime green and bright orange or bright pink.
    Blue just does not blend with my color choices though I do have a collection of turquoise.
    Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by bunbytes
    The only colors I really stay away from is a combination of gray and yellow as the entire quilt color scheme. It just doesn't talk to me when they are together, but they fine mixed in with other colors.
    I always thought the same thing until I found the right fabric. I work in a Bernina shop a couple of Saturdays a month (spending money although it seldom gets out of the shop) we got this fabric in and they asked me to make up a couple of blocks to showcase it. Needless to say I LOVED it and yes I have enough fabric to make the whole quilt and will get to it someday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]396567[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails black-yellow-sample.jpg  
    Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM

I was looking at my stash and realized I have a lot of greens and browns. I don't particularly like those shades (I'm more a turquois and gold person), but looking back over my quilts I really do use a lot of greens and browns, in all sort of shades and tones. I do some landscape quilting, so that must be the reason. Go figure....
    Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 PM

Not color for me but I collect deer fabric and just about any quilt I make for family has a piece of deer fabric some where in it. The charity quilts I would run out of my favorite fabric. I do put it in any quilt I make for friends though. RED for me is neutral...I'll put it with any color.....just need the right tone or shade......I love color!
    Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM
    Power Poster

Surprises are the best thing about quilting!