Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have Experience with Modular Homes? >

Anyone Have Experience with Modular Homes?

Anyone Have Experience with Modular Homes?

Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 AM

I agree with the others, make sure you understand the difference between manufactured and modular. I have a friend who owns a modular home and I was impressed. It's nice, good quality, quite sturdy. I told my husband I could live in one - especially if it was on acreage, lol.

I also agree with those who say to check and make sure the builder/installer/contractor building and setting up your home have good references and histories.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Our friends love theirs and they have been in it for ten years .. Best of luck on your new home and ideas (love the studio idea)
Old 08-07-2013, 04:37 PM

Thanks to this thread I have learned the differences between modular and manufactured...thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 PM

We have lived in a modular since 2006. I didn't even know it was one til I saw the labels on the windows saying they complied with Federal modular standards. Since we moved here, we have watched two more modulars go up in our neighborhood. The installers seemed to be extremely knowledgeable and worked in an efficient-looking manner.

One of the houses is near the water and is set a full floor above the ground in case of flooding.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:35 AM

Krystyna, my husband has worked on modulars in southwest VA for many years. They are very well built! Your studio in the garage will be great as long as you make sure you have enough electrical outlets to serve your purpose. Insulate it well of course. I can imagine it will be awesome. Dee
Old 08-08-2013, 05:31 AM

Default Modulars can be great!

Have lived in our Modular for 12 years. We went to Ohio and watched one being built. Great experiance plus we got $500 off the price for doing it.
The company you choose makes all the difference. We have had no problems whatsoever. Neighbors who built them used different company and different dealers. Some use items for mobile homes (nothing against mobile but things are different). Undersized counter depths, smaller kitchen sink because of this, plumbing pipes undersized, different material. This means if you want to replace anything at a later date us must replace with mobile items not found at DIY stores. One neighbor even had extra costs because the company didn't include many things in the estimate. Make sure you do loads of "homework". As in everything the company and the dealer makes all the difference. I would suggest staying away from a company that makes both modular and mobile. They seem to interchange items.
We love ours and people are surprised when we tell them it is a modular. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Never lived in a modular but, have lived in a mobile home for 47 years. We added three rooms to it the last one. We have redone it several times. I don't like basements so this is perfect for me. Absolutely no chance of floods here. We live on one of the highest hills in Missouri. No water around us.
Good luck, it looks very nice.
I'm with you don't want the flood problems, do you have a storm shelter there?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 AM

I have a 2 bedroom, one bath log cabin that I love! It is not large (16'x48') but perfect for me. In addition I have a "garden shed" (12'x16') for my sewing room. I purchased both fully finished complete with ac/heat and ready to use right off the display lot here in Texas. Did add paint and stick on tile to sewing room. I would recommend (and have) the builders of this one to anyone needing a home, office space, etc.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:19 PM

My son bought a modular home and it was awful. It started to implode they cut the I beam in the basement to get downstairs. Then found out that it wasn't attached to the main support. Several attorneys and 4 years of court they bought his home back and the land it was on. The down spouts where not connect to the main drains to the street. Mildew and floors caving in, it was a nightmare.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 PM

We also had Sandy damage here in NJ...our 1st floor was destroyed. We had everything repaired and we are looking forward to having it raised in October....we are coming across vultures so beware...Do your homework check prices compare apples to apples and go from there...I know I have one briefcase full of Insurance mess and now starting another for the house raising...we are already out $10,000 and the house has not moved an inch...good luck but beware...