Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a machine that doesn't dance! >

I want a machine that doesn't dance!

I want a machine that doesn't dance!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:46 PM

I agree with the suggestions about the table. You need a sturdier table, or you need to move the machine to the end, over the legs. I have a Brother 1500S, it is a very heavy machine with suction cups on the bottom, and it does fine when it's at home on it's desk. But when I take it on retreats and we're using those cheapo plastic Costco tables with folding legs, it bounces. I always try to set it up over the legs, which does help with support.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:52 PM

I have two Brother machines of my own and have used other machines. Almost all of them dance if placed on the wrong type of surface. When I attend my weekly quilt along meeting the tables we use are 8 foot long plastic table. It dances all over. I just slow down on those days. Once back at home or any other place where I can place machine on sturdy wood surface such as my sewing cabinet it doesnt dance with me. Trust me its not your machine.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 AM

My machine jumped all over the place on one of those cheap plastic "craft tables." It doesn't move on a sturdy wooden desk. Your problem is most likely the table.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 AM

The problem is usually that the center of your table is not well supported and when the machine gets going at a higher speed, it creates the bounce. Try to place your machine more on a corner where it is supported better
Old 09-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the mat or table. But you are right a new machine is in order for your new room!!!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I have my Brother 1500 on a four ft. heavy folding table set in the corner of the room. I have another four ft table making an L shape. I fmq with it at high speed and it doesn't move or shake at all. The smaller table has better support from the legs. I buy folding tables from Lowes, they are heavy and better quality then at the discount stores. I have the Gidget table for my Bernina. The heavier and more solid the table the better for your machine.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 AM

At our Community Service sewing on those fold up tables, we use carpet samples, and it really helps with the jiggles.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 PM

I doubt that it's the machine's fault that it dances. Even my Bernina 440 danced around when I put it on a Costco table. It's fine in the recessed cabinet I purchased for it. Having a mat under the machine also helps.

I second the Costco table issue. I had to place my Viking Sapphire at the very end and even then it wasn't perfectly steady. I solved the problem with a $20 table from a thrift store.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 AM

I have that problem too with a newer machine. I have an old Kenmore that does not bounce. Great machine. For my newer machine, I use a bungie cord over the neck opening and attach it to the table. That works for me and I can sew on a smaller table that way. My Kenmore is too heavy for that kind of table. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 AM

Default Another machine

If you are looking to buy another machine, look at the Singer 301's on eBay. They will sew anything! For piecing and FM quilting, they can't be beat. Plus, they are still light enough to take to a workshop and they are much less expensive than the Singer Featherweight.

Last edited by sjdal; 09-17-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: better wording