Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina 830 vs Longarm? >
  • Bernina 830 vs Longarm?

• Bernina 830 vs Longarm?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:40 AM
    Power Poster

One of the features I like best about the longarm is that it makes sandwiching the quilt so much easier. With a sit-down machine you still have to sandwich the hard way. Just sayin'. Also, you can get a very nice Innova in that price range, not a low end machine at all. My third point is that you may or may not really use the embroidery capability. I got the embroidery module with my Bernina 440 and then discovered that I am not all that interested in machine embroidery. I do plan to use it eventually for quilt labels, but that's mostly because I feel guilty not using it at all.
    Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 AM

I have the 830 and love it -- it does have a high learning curve but that is why I bought it -- want the challenge. I was thinking that I wanted a long arm but just don' have the room for one. I have a friend who does all her quilting on her 830. But you want to do it for a business so probably the long arm would work well for you. That is a tough question that only you can answer in the long run.
    Old 09-29-2013, 12:01 PM

GET THE LONG ARM!! I have heard from too many people who have had issues with the latest and greatest from Bernina ( the 830 ).......If you decide (after purchasing the long arm ) that you would like to do machine embroidery - there are always previously owned machines that you can purchase at a significantly discounted price! Wilson's in Hagerstown, MD (certainly not the cheapest by any means) has trade-in models that are one down from their current top of the line Pfaff that have been checked out by their technicians - t hat are listing for less than 50% of the price of a new machine...........and this is a dealer............You can ALWAYS find a deal on an embroidery machine, but being able to buy a long arm does not happen frequently........

Just my humble opinion.........
    Old 09-29-2013, 01:33 PM

I had a similar situation two years ago. I had a Bernina 430 on a Bernina frame to do FMQ. The BSR was great but the throat space was very limiting. I felt I had to keep the frame as it was a gift from my DH and a great frame. Soon I looked into a mid arm machine that would fit on my frame, with thead idea that some day I would have the space and money to upgrade to a large long arm. After much thought, I came to the conclusion that when I do upgrade, I would have to try to get rid of a midarm that only did straight stitch, but if I when with an 820 I would still have a very nice machine to meet all of my sewing needs. I went with the 820 and I am very happy. I do all of my FMQ with it but I also can take it off the frame for sewing. Good luck with your choices.
    Old 09-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Thanks for all the input! I appreciate all the posts in favor of a long arm and while I would really love to go that direction, I am concerned that while I think I have space in my sewing room for one, that it will end up taking so much space that I won't have any room to move around it much less actually sew in there. There is a common area off our den that has great light and room for a long arm but I would feel really guilty doing that. My husband had a pool table there and we agreed to take it down so we would have more space for the family during the holidays. If he can't have a pool table there how can I ask for that space for a long arm? The other option would be to move my Bernina out of the sewing room - but that would relegate my sewing back to the dining room table - which I hated in the first place. I guess I need to take some serious measurements to see if the long arm is even possible in the space I have. The layout of the room - doors, windows, closets - might make it impractical to even put a long arm in my sewing room. Maybe I could convince one of my kids to give up their room - hmmm - just kidding! Maybe this dream will have to wait after all.
    Old 09-30-2013, 03:09 AM

Longarm if you really want to make it a business someday. You can get a good machine for embroidery much cheaper. I have a Bernina 440 with the embroidery module and I seldom use it... However, I recently bought a very basic longarm. It is a Bailey's and has the stitch regulator, but no other bells and whistles. I got tired of the embroidery stuff pretty quick. I bought the Bernina quilt frame and put my 440 on it. Just didn't have enough quilting space so I turned to the longarm and it actually works on my Bernina frame and I love quilting with it. You won't be sorry if you get the longarm.
    Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 AM

I would look at the Brother or Babylock Tiara which is a mid arm sit down machine - has a stitch regulator and get an embroidery machine as well. That way you could have it all! The Brother/Babylock machines embroider beautifully and are workhorses! You could probably do both for 11,000-12,000
    Old 09-30-2013, 04:26 AM

I have a 15" Bailey on a Next Generation frame. Love it. Bailey's now have a sit down version w/a table. He has classroom models at a discount. Here is the link.
    http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/sppa1prmawis.html The description says it's a 13" Bailey. The table is available on all 3 sizes of Bailey's. The largest 17" Bailey w/table is $2998.
    Another option.
    Old 09-30-2013, 05:29 AM
    Suz

I am suggesting the 830E which includes the embroidery module/function. I have quilted several queen quilts on my 830. I have several friends who also have the 830 and none of us have problems. It is a solid machine with many great features.

One of the things you might want to measure is how often will you use the longarm vs. the time on a regular machine. I spend more time sewing/piecing/embroidering than I do machine quilting.

I started out with the Bernina 450E (used), traded up to a 730E (used) and now the 830E (used). Bernina also has a program that when you spend over $4000 (?) they offer no interest for several years. I noted you are in Virginia and the dealer I go to is either #1 or #2 in the country for sales and service. They always have used machines to sell/trade. PM me if you want the name of my dealer (great people) in Central Pa. It would be a great day trip to visit the Amish countryside if you think you would want to make a deal w/them. Incidentally, I have been in classes w/ladies from Maryland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Indiana. All who travel a great distance just to come to this quilt shop/class/sales and wonderful people. I am sure you would find it worth your time.
    Old 09-30-2013, 06:43 AM

The Bernina was not made to be used on a frame. It is huge and heavy. I have a friend who has one, and againshe has had problems with it.
    There is a learning curve with a longarm, but it is worth it. It takes lots of time and practice, and patience learning long arm quilting.
    Good luck on your decision!