Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Easy Sewing Ideas >
  • Easy Sewing Ideas

• Easy Sewing Ideas

Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 AM

My granddaughter is 12 and started sewing with me when she was 10. For her first project, I took her to the fabric store and we picked out fabric and a pattern for a tote bag. Since then she has gone through my fabric stash several times and made small quilts of her own design. The first was just large squares. For the latest project, she put appliques on each block, using the fancy stitches (as she calls them) on my Janome Horizon 7700. Needless to say, she doesn't like to use my old machine now. Her imagination and creativity astound me -- quite different from mine. She uses colors and combinations that I would never use, but when her projects are finished, they are quite colorful and unique. Treasure the time you two spend together sewing. It's awesome.

Janet
    Old 10-30-2013, 04:07 AM

How about this tutorial on QB for Super super easy tissue holder ? She could make these for her friends.
    Old 10-30-2013, 04:16 AM
    Power Poster

Trying to make doll clothes might be difficult with no sewing experience. But I agree with making a pillowcase. Let her choose the fabrics. She can keep it on her bed and will be very proud of making it. Just have FUN!! My grandmother taught me so many things I love such as sewing and playing solitaire.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 10-30-2013 at 04:19 AM.
    Old 10-30-2013, 04:19 AM

If she'd like to make something for her doll, how about a skirt with an elastic waist? All she'd need is a rectangle of fabric for however full she wants the skirt, learn to make a hem and a casing and she's accomplished something for her doll.
    Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 AM

Kids need easy projects that can be finished quickly. They lose interest if it goes on too long. Pillowcases, doll quilts, hot pads, mug rugs, placemats, simple bags, etc. work well.
    Old 10-30-2013, 04:41 AM

I would think doll clothes would be too hard for a starter to do. You mentioned place mats and small quilts. How about a table runner to go with the mats? How about potholders? Good luck.
    Old 10-30-2013, 05:52 AM

I am one that thinks if the child is interested in sewing doll clothes, go for it, will they be perfect and do they need to be for a beginning sewer, NO. Keep the quilt police away and let them have fun learning to sew and you will have a lifetime quilting buddy! There are some cute American Girl Apron patterns out there, she could make one for her doll and one for herself.
    Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 AM

I was thinking about the fabric boxes shown on here. They are easy and she could make one to hold her quilting supplies.
    Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 AM

I taught a class at church this last year for 9-14 year olds...we even had a couple younger. We made a big hobo bag...they did it all just fine...except it required fleece stuffed handles...that were a big a struggle to do...but other than that they did it.

I saw on Nancy's Notions website 18" doll clothes that are preprinted on fabric that only have a few straight seems to sew...I think this would be good for a beginner.
    Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 AM

Doll clothes are too hard to make because they are so small. I would cut some 5 or 6 inch quares and let her sew them together for a doll quilt. My younger great granddaughter can't wait until she can use the sewing machine to piece a strip quilt, but she is too short at 7 to reach the foot control on the machine.

And you might want to see if she would like to learn embroidery. I started embroidering at about 10 and loved it. Whatever you do, I know she will love it. froggyintexas