Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern doesn't show which fabric to use >

Pattern doesn't show which fabric to use

Pattern doesn't show which fabric to use

Old 11-10-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I haven't made but a few quilts... but I always buy the pattern... I own my own retail stores and appreciate those who support my local business so I also like to support those who worked to design and took the time to create a pattern.
Ethical issues aside, the "took the time" part seems to vary a lot. I've only used 2 patterns. One, from a magazine, had errors in it that i didn't discover until a dozen blocks were made. The second, from Fig Tree, had only vague and careless references to making the pattern with yardage. By the time I drew it out and computed everything, like the area of a precut strip vs a FQ, I could have written much better directions. Apparently, you were supposed to buy her jelly rolls or be confused.

I have a huge picture file and get great inspiration on patterns and colors from it. The only place I'm well out of my depth is applique. I look for "dancing umbrellas" everywhere I go. If I drew that, it definitely wouldn't look like umbrellas.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
http://www.connectingthreads.com/pat...__D10720D.html

I love this quilt, how can I figure out which fabrics to use, I can't see a close up??? This is my first time trying to copy a pattern.

I love these colors.
The picture doesn't show you which fabrics to use because you're supposed to buy the pattern. If you're going to copy the quilt without buying the pattern then you also have to figure out what fabrics to use and how much of each fabric. Plus you have to figure out your own cutting and sewing instructions.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I import a picture of a quilt in EQ7, trace the block pattern and print out the cutting directions. I buy the pattern when I can't figure out the method of how to make the block or put it all together in the pattern design. Many simple blocks, like all the modern quilts now, are very easy to make without a pattern. I will not buy a pattern when I can see in the picture how it is made.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

It's weird that everyone thinks she should buy the pattern, but when the gal took a long time and money and made 'The Disappearing Design Wall', where she used a roll up for your window that you yank on and it rolls down and you yank on it and it rolls up and she added fabric to one side to hold blocks and made a beautiful box that she stained that the roll up goes in and I wrote that I bought it and loved it and people responded and said that they would make their own instead of spending the money. What is the difference? This woman went out of business. She had a great idea. I love my Disappearing Design Wall. It hangs over my closet door. I have no room on my walls in my sewing room. It is a great invention. If people would have bought from her instead of making their own, she would still be in business and making money. I heard she is trying to sell her business to her daughters. It's too bad - she thought up such a great idea, but as you are saying that she should buy the pattern, you should have bought her design wall. We should help other quilters when they come up with ideas. Not steal their ideas!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 AM

I am confused! Are you looking for the specific fabric that they used or the pattern itself or how to make it(pattern). Many patterns do not tell /you the fabric line since you can choose your own fabric line /color ways.. The CT link for this pattern gives you the amount of fabric needed so you do not have to buy the pattern for that info. If it the color way that you want then print out the pattern and take it to you LQS to buy colors. If it the pattern you want to have then breakdown and buy it if you are not experienced enough to figure out the design . Many time it is easier to buy pattern then to then to figue it out yourself. All that saidI have seen a "similiar" design wit other name by different designer. So who's work are you copying????
Old 11-10-2013, 11:38 AM

I love that pattern also. Love the colors they made it in. Were you able to find the fabric line??
Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 PM
RST

Quilt pattern publishers really need to step up the quality and be more transparent about what their patterns include if they want to hold people to a strict standard of "you must buy the pattern to show support of the creator". And I guess I think that shop owners need to be part of that move to ensure that when they sell a pattern, it's a quality pattern-- one that does, in fact, offer value and detail and innovation.

There are patterns I've seen (occasionally even bought) that are full of errors, make poor use of the fabric creating needless waste of expensive yardage, skip important details, really bad photos or illustrations. Some look really nice, but the technique just isn't there. It really irks me to buy a pattern which has been sealed in plastic wrap (or is a pdf download online), so I have no way of assessing how good it is. You open it up, and it's crap, with a nice and inspiring photo on the cover. Experience of wasted money on bad patterns is probably the number one reason people don't want to buy patterns.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:54 PM

I used to be one of those who would copy a craft idea that I saw in a show or on line. what I found out is that often after you buy all the supplies to make 1 of something you have spent more money that if you had just bought it. Now I just buy item (if price is good) insrtead of making it!