Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Templates >
  • Templates

• Templates

Old 01-15-2014, 05:31 PM

Wow! Love the quilt. Before I saw the quilt I pictured a lot more repeats of the same shape. I'm not sure there would be enough of the same shapes to make a template worth the cost. What about other options like looking through your ruler collection to see how close you can come to some of those shapes so that you can rotary cut. Just recently I made a paper pieced pattern by drafting the shapes without seam allowances on one piece of paper then I sewed, without thread, to mark the pattern on multiple pieces of paper. This would eliminate all of those bias edges. Some people on the Board have made Jenney Beyer quilts, which look a lot like this one, maybe they can give you some suggestions. I know I am all over the map on this one but I think there are a lot easier ways to do this then cutting out each individual shape. Back to the geometry thing (Who knew it was going to have real life relevance, I would have paid attention.), I would look at the degree lines on a large ruler just to see if any of the angles on your pattern pieces correspond. Hopefully you will get some more coherent suggestions. If you don't, I would start another thread, providing the link and asking for suggestions. Please let me know how it goes.
    Old 01-15-2014, 05:47 PM

I made a quilt and all the squares were 5 inches trimmed, then 4.5 " finished. even had a speciality ruler that came with the quilt instructions. I liked the little 4.5 " sq ruller, that I took it, and told them to make me a 5.5 inch sq.

I took it to a car glass repair place. and the finished piece was heavy duty plexiglass.
    Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 PM

I looked to see if Derek Lockwood has a website and he does. I thought you might want to know (if you don't already know) there were some corrections to that pattern posted on his site. here is the link-

http://www.lockwoodquilts.com/patter...rrections.html

Good luck. Look forward to seeing that beautiful quilt.
    Old 01-15-2014, 09:10 PM

http://www.phillipsfiberart.com/

See if any of these templates will help.
    Old 01-16-2014, 01:14 AM

My husband makes templates for me exactly like tesspug described.........works great.
    Old 01-16-2014, 03:58 AM

I would check with keepsake Quilting to see what they suggest. Maybe they have a set of templates. The pattern looks almost like it could be paper pieced. It's beautiful!
    Old 01-16-2014, 07:27 AM

Morning! I had a nice long post and lost it. Darn. I contacted the site that Nativetexan gave on page 1
    and will be sending the pattern piece copies to her. She says they will let me know a cost so I can
    decide whether the templates are affordable.
    I will post and let everyone know when I hear.
    Emma...thank you. I've been all over the place with this one too. But I'm determined that I want to do
    it!
    Really appreciated all the input here. As usual, this group of folks is A+. I'll get back to ya.
    Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 AM

P.S. I did check for any possible corrections. There are none. However, if I have trouble
    I won't hesitate to contact Derreck Lockwood. He has helped me in the past with a
    bargello pattern of his. Very nice fellow quilter! Thanks for that link.
    Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 AM

That's a gorgeous quilt! With all those long skinny points, I think you'd be wise to buy the pattern and paper piece it as much as possible. Good luck!
    Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 PM

When I use templates, which isn't often, I cut paper templates to the finished size. I then place a small piece or two of double-sided tape on the wrong side of the template and place it on the fabric where the piece will cut. Place the ruler with the 1/4" (seam) line on the edge of the template and cut along the outside edge.

But this pattern looks as if it should be paper pieced!