Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilters - what is best for you? >

Hand quilters - what is best for you?

Hand quilters - what is best for you?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Sharon Schambert maybe? You Tube has lots of videos for basting quilts.
I think you are right. I've done full pole frames, hopes et but this s the best I've found I do quilts for family and my grand daughter told me after I had done a quilt with the Z basting "Grandma I can feel love in that quilt " What else can I say Check out Shaons site God less
Old 02-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Just be sure your quilting looks like quilting and not sewing. The most important thing to do, is insert your needle straight down into the fabric for EVERY stitch you make. Good luck and practice practice practice each piece quilted gets better and easier.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM
amh

Hi Teddysmom:

Welcome to the world of hand quilting. My favorite thing. I don't do much of it any more but love it. I have all kinds of frames, and hoops, and love using them all. Although I can do them all, and enjoy it, my favorite is lap quilting. You can turn that hoop around so you can quilt in the direction that feels most comfortable for you.

One of the frames I have is a PVC pipe floor frame, and once I get the quilt pinned put it on it and I quilt around each block. This thoroughly stabilizes the entire sandwich and I then put the frame away and hand quilt on the hoop. I also had problems with things catching on pins. If I don't feel like getting the floor frame out, I actually move the hoop around till I have all the blocks outlined and stabilized (make sure everything is straight as you move the hoop), and all the pins can go into the pin jar and I can enjoy my quilting.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:56 AM

*** Do it your way is always best.
*** I use a floor frame (Hinterberg).