Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank goodness for my local library! >

Thank goodness for my local library!

Thank goodness for my local library!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 PM

I use our church fellowship hall to put my quilts together. I can't bend one of my knees at all so crawling on the floor is an impossibility. So glad you came up with an alternative to crawling around on the floor.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 AM

that's pretty nice of your library I doubt that the libraries around here (what's left) will allow that. they closed a lot of them around here and also post office's
Old 02-11-2014, 04:44 AM

I love my local library, too, but I've never basted there. I check out all the new quilting books to see if they are books I 'need' to purchase. I'm also able to suggest a purchase for the newly released books, or books that are not yet available on Amazon. The library orders them and sends me an email when my suggestion has arrived. At first I felt guilty about using the library in this way, but then I took a cruise down the romance fiction aisle, and realized that my suggestions were much better than any of those books!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

I would never donate money to a public service that taxes pay for. I have donated my time to the school when my kids attended.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
that's pretty nice of your library I doubt that the libraries around here (what's left) will allow that. they closed a lot of them around here and also post office's
I can't believe a library would be unwelcoming to any patron who is courteous and mindful of cleaning up the area they use. Libraries are not just for books, they now have computers, music, craft sections, etc. The more they are used the more valuable they become. Talk to your librarians and you may be surprised what they allow.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

I can't believe your library is open on Sunday!! I live in one of the wealthiest counties in the country, yet my library (not a wealthy neighborhood, lol) is only open Monday-Thursday. I don't know if they'll allow me to baste their, but I'll sure ask. It's a lot closer than church. One of the librarians is always asking about my quilts, so I take them in for her to see. Maybe I can get her to help!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:32 AM

I was also surprised that the library was open. They have 3 branches and two were closed, but the one that was open was only open from 1-5pm. Soon as I walked in I recognized the lady behind the counter as a neighborhood acquaintance and also, she worked at the day care where my grand kids stayed, so she knew me well enough to know I would be respectful and appreciative to be able to use the meeting room.

As my momma used to say, "It never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is no."
Old 02-11-2014, 06:35 AM

so political, but i have to say....

libraries are bastions of freedom. access to information is primary to the maintenance of democracy.

closing libraries, choking them through chronic underfunding and restricting access are threats to your very freedom.

support you library any way you can.

aileen, stepping off her soapbox
Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I use to use the classroom at my LQS but I would be very careful at using ANY spray basting because you suppose to have good air circulation. These areas are available to us for free so I would be careful NOT to abuse this privilege. Just be very careful. I would LEAVE the spray basting at home and pack the safety pins instead.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:27 AM

yep, yep, yep! Thank you stillclock for this reminder. We should all stand up and shout for our freedom.