Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I cut my backing fabric length same size as the top! >

Help! I cut my backing fabric length same size as the top!

Help! I cut my backing fabric length same size as the top!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by chantillydreams View Post
So, why does one have to cut it larger? What would happen if one didn't and quilted anyway. Thanks!
I was hoping that someone would answer this, as I tried to earlier and couldn't figure out how to say what I wanted to say....but I will give it a try. The problem with the top and backing being the same size is that when they are quilted together in the sandwich, sometimes the quilting makes one of them get smaller, usually the back. That means you might have to trim more than you meant to when you square the quilt up in preparation for putting your binding on. If you have extra backing, that eliminates that possibility.

Plus, if you happen to send your quilt to get quilted, there needs to be about three inches on each side for the quilt to fit correctly on a long arm machine.

Okay, that almost makes sense. Perhaps someone can "tidy up" my explanation a bit....

Beautiful quilt, by the way.

Dina
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I would not add to the end but at a spot about 1/3 or 2/3 from the end. Or I would add two stripes, same or diff fabrics to the back. It adds interest.
It would be much better this way if you are adding to the piece. Then your seam won't be right at the edge of the quilt.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 PM

Another option is to cut your border and make it smaller, unless it is supposed to be a certain length. Then your backing would be big enough. If you're quilting it yourself, there shouldn't be a problem with not having up to three inches extra backing.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:22 PM

This has probably happened to all of us - what I did to solve mine was to so a section down the middle that complimented the front of the quilt - so all I had to do was center that section and not worry about the edge and everyone seemed to think I planned it that way.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:49 PM

why not make it into a 'pillow case' that will stabilise it for your quilting
Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 AM
Vat

I do lots of pieced backs.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:06 AM

[QUOTE=chantillydreams;6590266]Can I still use it? Here is the scenario:

It's a bed runner made from a jellyroll. I am going to stitch in the stitch, and then quilt the borders. I measured and cut the backing fabric to the same length as the top. I have not cut the width yet. Am I screwed? LOL I don't want to waste this length of fabric. What may happen if I carefully quilt it as it is? Thanks!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]463828[/ATTACH][/QU

OTE]

I would add a length of fabric to the top and bottom, and then, BEFORE I started to FMQ - or Longarm, I would baste around the perimeter of the quilt…….
Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 AM

Why not just trim an inch or so off the perimeter of the TOP piece. It's a bed runner - there are no rules about their sizes
Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 AM

You've got a lovely quilt/bedrunner. If you are thinking that you need more inches on the back to account for what will be taken up in quilting and to leave yourself some leeway, cut the back into four equal parts and put strips of the top fabric--you could even piece them piano style--between the sections. If you use 4 inch strips, you will have lots of room and you will have added a striking design element to the back. Good luck and happy sewing. froggyintexas
Old 02-23-2014, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redhotnana View Post
Why not add a piece of fabric to each end of the backing to make it long enough? It will just be like a decorative border!
Some of my most interesting quilts have come out better because of an unintended "booboo!"
I agree, this happens to me more often that not. I would put a border on each end that you planned it that way. I just finished a Bargello bed runner and I am concern I may NOT have enough backing fabric. Time to improvise. Good Luck !!