need help packaging a machine

Old 03-19-2014, 03:20 PM

Steve,

Not everyone has access to your foam which makes it difficult to follow your packing instructions. Wonderful if one has access as the hard foam is the best packing material on earth .

Jon
Old 03-19-2014, 03:24 PM

I've had machines wrapped in about 8 layers of bubble wrap that has very small bubbles, and that seems fine. I've had it packed with large bubble stuff, with poor results.

I've found the number one thing is make sure the machine can NOT move around, not up, down or side to side. So far I've bought and had shipped 23 machines, and have seen quite an array of packing jobs.

1. remove anything you can remove, the machine is heavy and will break other things like lights if it ends up on top of them (like laying on it's side). Don't leave anything "loose" that can move around and scratch the machine (like control pedals, or attachment boxes). Over wrap them and make sure they also can't move around.
2. if the machine can move at all, it will. Mostly I've seen them packed so the machine can rock back and forth, this will bend all sort of interesting things.
3. if there is a case, either pack them separate, or make sure the machine can NOT move around inside the case. I've ended up with more broken cases from the machine moving around, and had one end up upside down on my doorstep, so the machine pulled free of the case and made a mess of things. The machine is rarely damaged in this situations, but a thin wooden case is no match for a 25lb machine. The ones that survived were either packed separately, or the case was stuffed so full that the machine was fully supported inside the case. The only real safe way with a wood case is to pack them separately - otherwise you are only hoping you get lucky and it does not end up upside down at some point.

For me, double boxing isn't a big deal, provided there is unmovable support around the machine. I've had several with packing materiel that moved aside during transport, and the machine had parts sticking out of the bottom of the box. Had one the Postman said they taped back up at the station because it was part way out of the box already. And that was from the bottom of the machine rubbing a hole through the cardboard.

I think I've only gotten two machines that were double boxed. That is the best way to insure the outside padding does not move around.

BTW - many years ago I ordered a rather large picture in a fancy frame. It was wrapped in plastic, then set in a bed of spray foam around the edges of a box, which molded itself exactly to the frame. I was worried that large a piece of glass wouldn't make it safely, but the seller assured me they shipped a lot of framed art successfully.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
With all due respect that has not been my experience.

Bubble wrap is "ablative" in that once popped it is no longer padding. EVERY box that I have received with bubble wrap has has a significant portion "popped". IF the seller uses other padding between the bubble wrap and the box it is MUCH less likely to be damaged.

The issue comes from the padding acting as a weight support structure. So a 40 lb sewing machine sitting on two layers of bubble wrap gets dropped on the ground twice and the inertia of the machine coming to ANY sudden stop, tends to pop the bubbles even if the box is UNDAMAGED on the outside... After the first drop the padding can be reduced increasing the chance of the second drop damaging the machine.

My Jones Serpentine has a broken paw foot even though the box was only compressed 1/2" on that corner... because it had two layers of bubble wrap and both layers were popped.

Double boxing is ALWAYS preferred if possible.
I wrap a cocoon of bubble wrap around the machine, and then fill in around that to secure it inside the box.

Now I don't ship heavy cast iron machines, so if I did, I might alter my methods. Plus, cast iron can be brittle, so extra care would obviously be needed to protect it.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:13 PM

Have any of you used that plastic saran wrap-type material for packing? I wish I knew exactly what it was called, but basically it's the same stuff that is used to wrap pallets, just in a handheld size. That stuff does wonders when it comes to packaging items that you want TIGHT. I'll use it over the bubble wrap and once it's on you can toss the item unboxed without it breaking. It's pretty cheap on ebay and would probably work really well on top of a bubbled SM.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Marianne81 View Post
Have any of you used that plastic saran wrap-type material for packing? I wish I knew exactly what it was called, but basically it's the same stuff that is used to wrap pallets, just in a handheld size. That stuff does wonders when it comes to packaging items that you want TIGHT. I'll use it over the bubble wrap and once it's on you can toss the item unboxed without it breaking. It's pretty cheap on ebay and would probably work really well on top of a bubbled SM.
I use it only to wrap strips of white foam over the spool pin, take up lever, and any other part that might get easily damaged in shipping. Also to immobilize the hand wheel from turning.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 03-19-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 PM

Wen I was selling antiqes on ebay, sometimes I would use swimmers noodles, cut to fit, around a bubble wrapped item, never had a complaint. However,prior to using them I once shipped a crockery whiskey jug ( old & empty) and at the post office, I saw the conterman throw it onto a hard surface from about 6 ft away. I just knew there would be a claim!
Dang, when I was desperate...I even used a cheap cut up styrofoam cooler to fill the box...I've shipped some very unusual items but you sewing machine experts have my admiration for your moxie just for shipping old sewing machines.

adamae
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 AM

now that the machine has arrived safely, here is how we packed up a very different sewing machine.

We built a base that fit into the bottom of the box - it was set on top of 1" insulation foam.

The machine was bolted to this frame - our concern was that no weight would be sitting on the oversized flywheel.

The box was custom made - DH went dumpster diving at the appliance shop in town (with permission) and pulled out several large boxes from TV's. Apparently most kitchen appliances no longer come in cardboard boxes, but the TVs are now big enough that he got plenty of heavy duty cardboard. Then he cut and folded it to create his own box, using high strength spray adhesive to glue it shut.

Foam packing was put between the box and machine, and filled up so that it was not possible for the machine to shift in any direction.

This box weighed in at 60 lbs, and was cheaper (and much faster ) to ship UPS than USPS. For comparison, we dropped this off at UPS at 5:30pm (they are only open from 5:30 to 6pm for drop off) on Thursday the 13th, and he got it yesterday. Earlier this year, SteveH shipped a regular sized machine to me via USPS and it took almost three weeks to get here. Not sure if either machine had a lot more miles on it or not, though with USPS the machine went about 300 miles past my house, and then turned around and took the long way back.

And we did stick some bubble wrap in there - especially for SteveH since we know how much he loves the stuff.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:29 AM

Great job on the packing!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 AM

I also like old woodworking machines and people shipping parts have the same issues. Proper packing is critical. I've seen cast iron parts wrapped in garbage bags then spray foamed around them with products like Great Stuff to keep them from moving. If you do this, provide some way of easily removing the machine from the foam.
You're basically trying to do two things. Keep the machine from moving inside the box and keep the shippers from destroying your packaging. Putting the machine in something soft like tissue or an old pillowcase can't hurt either. You don't want the packing material to rub the decals off.
Don't even bother to mark the box as "fragile" or "this end up". The people loading the trucks don't have time to read or care. Remember that old Samsonite commercial with the gorilla tossing the suitcase around? Your box will receive the same sort of attention.
Make sure the person receiving the machine is aware of the extra costs involved in packing a machine so there's no misunderstandings about the shipping bill.
Rodney
Old 03-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
And we did stick some bubble wrap in there - especially for SteveH since we know how much he loves the stuff.
Actually it was the Styrofoam that made me groan... I HATE that stuff with a passion. But in anycase it arrived safe and sound.

FYI - The "wee greenie" is packed and should go out today.