Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help on figuring out a square >
  • Need help on figuring out a square

• Need help on figuring out a square

Old 06-10-2014, 05:15 PM

Oh wow...all of you have been of tremendous help. I finally was able to manage it. No....I didn't figure it out, stood on the shoulders of all of you that rallied to help me. I so LOVE this group and quilter...well what can I say about quilters...I've never met one that didn't rally around to help a fellow quilter that needed it.

Thank you so much

On a side note, I found that Bev is on FB and sent her a personal PM asking if the quilt was for sale independently from the magazine and how to buy if it is. Thanks for the tip on finding it on eBay as well. If I don't hear from Bev I will try eBay. I know this quilt is copyrighted and want to pay for it. BUT...I was so intrigued by the 'how to' that I couldn't resist.

Again, thanks to all of you.
    Dray
    Old 06-10-2014, 06:17 PM
    Power Poster

Well - I think I have figured out the unit.

It does seem to be a 3 unit x 8 unit block.

If I use 6-3/8 x 17 inch finished unit, I can come up with cutting and assembly directions. (One unit = 2-1/8 inches)

Cut five strips 2 inches wide.
    Sew them together with 1/4 inch seam.
    Press.
    Cut the strip at a 45 degree angle.
    Make the cuts at 9-7/8 inch intervals .(I am reasonably sure the exact number is 9-3/4 inches, but it's easier to trim down a bit than to add a bit)

The triangles at the ends can be cut from 7-1/4 inch squares, but I would cut them 7-3/8 inches.
    Sew a triangle at each end of the five-strip unit.

I apologize for the messy drawing - I just did not want to mess another piece of paper!
    Attached Thumbnails rectangle-block005.jpg  
    Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 PM

Renee Owens Wouldn't be hard to guess how to make this. It is very straight forward. There are brown and multi-colored strips and they each look like they are 2.5" wide and 7.5" long finished. The field color (FC) strips are 7.5" long and the width of three of the colored strips (which is 7.5"). Therefore, using 1/4" seam, piece LONG 3" wide colored strips of material AND LONG 8" wide FC strips of material to make the following pattern (1FC: 5 Colored: 1 FC: 5 colored: 1 FC); and then cut across these at 45° angle so that when this step is finished the multi-colored pieced strip will be 8" wide and half the length of the quilt and have a slanted striped pattern like the picture; make 8. Then sew and cut 8 more at a 45° angle in the OPPOSITE direction. (You will have 16 altogether.) Finally, take one of each of the opposite direction half length pieced strips, sew the two of them right sides together at the ends straight across the two pieces to make a full length pieced strip and trim off extra at seam allowance. Do this 7 more times. (You will now have 8 full length pieced strips.) Arrange them in the pattern above and then sew all the full length strips together. The rest is easy.

This is what I found on facebook along with the picture from 24 blocks. I would of course have to buy the pattern for me to work on it but can't find where to get it. I just did a copy and paste so don't know if it is helpful to you or not
    Old 06-10-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by dray965
    I did click on Bev's name. All it brings up are pics of 3 of her quilts. Clicking on ECHO pic will only take you back to the magazine picture. No download .
    I got all the way to INSTALL and then it went back and started again.
    Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by evelyn5269
    Renee Owens Wouldn't be hard to guess how to make this. It is very straight forward. There are brown and multi-colored strips and they each look like they are 2.5" wide and 7.5" long finished. The field color (FC) strips are 7.5" long and the width of three of the colored strips (which is 7.5"). Therefore, using 1/4" seam, piece LONG 3" wide colored strips of material AND LONG 8" wide FC strips of material to make the following pattern (1FC: 5 Colored: 1 FC: 5 colored: 1 FC); and then cut across these at 45° angle so that when this step is finished the multi-colored pieced strip will be 8" wide and half the length of the quilt and have a slanted striped pattern like the picture; make 8. Then sew and cut 8 more at a 45° angle in the OPPOSITE direction. (You will have 16 altogether.) Finally, take one of each of the opposite direction half length pieced strips, sew the two of them right sides together at the ends straight across the two pieces to make a full length pieced strip and trim off extra at seam allowance. Do this 7 more times. (You will now have 8 full length pieced strips.) Arrange them in the pattern above and then sew all the full length strips together. The rest is easy.

This is what I found on facebook along with the picture from 24 blocks. I would of course have to buy the pattern for me to work on it but can't find where to get it. I just did a copy and paste so don't know if it is helpful to you or not
    Can you post an illustration of what you mean?
    Old 06-10-2014, 07:51 PM

I just copied and pasted this from the facebook post. Was just hoping it might help. Renee Owens is the one who posted these directions. If anyone finds the actual pattern that I can purchase please PM me.
    Thanks
    Evelyn
    Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM

Sew your 5 strips together into a strip set. Sub-cut into 6 inch sets (that's what it looks like to me). Cut at a 60 degree angle. Add the background (white) - I would cut a 6 1/2" x 3 inch piece then trim to whatever you decide the size should be, probably 6 1/2" x 8 1/2"??? Does that help??

Jane
    Old 06-11-2014, 03:17 AM

Could it be strips sewn together and then cut on the angle?
    Old 06-11-2014, 04:19 AM

If you cannot buy the pattern from original designer....go to mag website and see if you can buy back issue of mag. I have that mag somewhere in my mountain of mags and I too admired it and marked it as a " try"' but haven't yet...but thanks for reminding me......
    Old 06-11-2014, 06:45 AM
    Power Poster

It's made like the French Braid but only using one direction of strips per panel not two.